CC Fraud and Safety being ignored by Airbnb

Answered!
Rachel2615
Level 2
New York, NY

CC Fraud and Safety being ignored by Airbnb

@richbaer @tarabunch HELP. Fraudulent charge from Airbnb found on personal credit card last friday for $1, 855.  When I contacted Airbnb they sent the same pro forma emails saying that they were unable to refund me because it "could have been a family member or close friend that used my card".  But they did not provide me with any other info as to who charged my card etc. Absolutely ridiculous.  No one one has access to any of my personal info. I contacted my bank directly and they are sending me a new card and looking into the matter. However Airbnb gave ZERO help and will not cancel the booking or refund the charges.  Worse if the person who has accessed my card (fraud) does indeed enter a hosts home how truly terrible.  Enormous safety issue that could simple be solved by cancelling the booking.  Our 'friend' aka a criminal committing fraud can re-book.  After nine years of having an account with Airbnb we will be closing our account asap.  Deeply disappointing and frustrating.  I have emailed entire Airbnb executive team.  If anyone has more contact details  or suggestions about how to escalate this issue please share @brianchesky please help!  Please add your voice to this complaint!

1 Best Answer

Not at all confused. Airbnb has apologized and refunded transaction.
No need for more replies!

Thx.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rachel2615 No merchant will (or is allowed) to give details of a credit card usage to you. The only way of dealing with this is for your bank to cancel the transaction at which point Airbnb will cancel the booking. In times of credit card fraud it just isn't worth the card holder contacting the merchant as the banks are able to do this far more efficiently.

Cancelling your Airbnb account may make you feel better but its entirely possible the card details were hacked from another place you used the card especially as the booking was presumably not made under this account.

Correct!  Absolutely not made through our account and the ridiculousness of continuing to allow an unauthorized booking using my credit card is deeply frustrating.  The funds have been removed from my account already!  Bank of course cancelled card but charge has gone through.  Ten day investigation now w HSBC.  Points to much larger problem and would like help in contacting a human at Airbnb to discuss.  Why can’t they cancel booking and the person they claim as my ‘friend’ (aka a criminal committing fraud) can re-book? 

Leaving guests to vent to each other on community forums also side steps responsibility.

Hoping a human from Airbnb will contact me but after two days of calling them no one can take on the task of cancelling a fraudulent booking. 
if anyone can post this to social media or forward to Airbnb legal team I would be so grateful. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think you are  still a little confused. This isn't anything to do with Airbnb. It's about someone fraudulently using your card . So something to sort out with your bank /credit card company . @Rachel2615 

I agree it's seems rather cutting off your  nose to spite your face by cancelling your Airbnb account because a third party has fraudulently used your credit card 

Not at all confused. Airbnb has apologized and refunded transaction.
No need for more replies!

Thx.

@Rachel2615 If Airbnb cancelled bookings just because some  person rings them up then the host cancellation policies would be entirely negated. Just be patient and let your bank work through their process to sort this out.