Can Airbnb refund service fees to my guest? They had a death in the family and had to cancel.

Answered!
Matt132
Level 1
Pleasanton, CA

Can Airbnb refund service fees to my guest? They had a death in the family and had to cancel.

Have any hosts been able to get the service fees refunded for their guests? 

1 Best Answer
Paul4
Level 10
Kiawah Island, SC

Hosts cannot get Airbnb to refund the service to their guests. As you may be aware, Airbnb handles all the money until arrival. Thus, they handle all the money in case of cancellation. The guest, in this case, needs to cancel and claim "extenuating circumstances". Airbnb will apply their policies and provide the appropriate refund. Before arrival, hosts have no control over the funds.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

If your guest can provide proof, they can qualify for the Extenuating Circumstances Policy.  They will need to Contact Airbnb directly to do this.

Thank you, I'll pass the information on to them 

Paul4
Level 10
Kiawah Island, SC

Hosts cannot get Airbnb to refund the service to their guests. As you may be aware, Airbnb handles all the money until arrival. Thus, they handle all the money in case of cancellation. The guest, in this case, needs to cancel and claim "extenuating circumstances". Airbnb will apply their policies and provide the appropriate refund. Before arrival, hosts have no control over the funds.