Canceled by host & new stay not honored

Eddie411
Level 1
Grand View-on-Hudson, NY

Canceled by host & new stay not honored

Tonight I received word that my $311 reservation for tomorrow at Sundance was canceled.
I made this reservation more than two months ago, because of no last minute, affordable availability at Sundance; the current cost is $620 a night and up. 
Airbnb offered $78 as a “courtesy” but will not honor covering the difference for a new reservation. 
They say that it will take at least 24 hours for a supervisor to get in touch, but that will be too late. 
Airbnb completely destroyed my employment at Sundance, and is jeopardizing my professional relationships.
How can they allow a host to cancel last minute, and not honor a new reservation, regardless of cost?  
To make it worse, I spent 75 minutes on three separate phone calls to get no resolution.

4 Replies 4
Sophia
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Eddie411, it's been a couple of days since you posted. I was wondering if you reached out to Support to get this resolved? Do let us know 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Eddie411
Level 1
Grand View-on-Hudson, NY

Honestly, it’s a total disaster. I had to book a replacement stay that was in an entirely different area and cost more than twice the cost. 
I booked this in November, and I was canceled the day before my travel this week. 
Heartbreaking because this trip was planned with a budget and now I’m in over my head. 
Airbnb sent a “coupon” that covered a fraction of what the increase cost me. 
Airbnb should have covered the difference 100% but they claim in our “agreement” it states they are only responsible for a small percentage of the canceled reservation. Horrible experience. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have a look at the guest guarantee Airbnb should have helped you find an Ali booking and helped towards the cost . Did you arrange the alternative accommodation through Airbnb @Eddie411 

@Helen3 Sadly for @Eddie411 the Aircover provided to guests is cleverly worded in that Airbnb will provide replacement accommodation or refund the guest. In most cases reported here they just offer the refund and leave the guest to sort out the mess.  Given that they fine hosts for cancelling I would have thought they could do a better job and be cost neutral.