Cancellation due to terrorist attack in Turkey

Answered!
Rasha144
Level 2
Bedford, Canada

Cancellation due to terrorist attack in Turkey

We have reservation on Airbnb 10 mins walk from where a terrorist attack took place in Turkey. I have contacted AIRBNB and the host and both refused to give me the refund. 

Travelling as a family with kids we have decided it will be risky to travel to and stay at a location where a terrorist attack took place. 

As per the terms and conditions of Airbnb, it claims terrorist attacks and country advisories as an event in which they would accept a refund for. 

As per one traveller who went on the news about cancelling a Airbnb booking due to terrorist attacks in Paris, he was refunded fully by Airbnb even though the host declined. 

I don’t understand why Airbnb didn’t equally refund us our reservation. I have recorded ZERO assistance from Airbnb. Which makes us think 5-10 times before choosing to book on here. 

1 Best Answer
Rasha144
Level 2
Bedford, Canada

Update: I finally got my refund! Glad I escalated the case. 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rasha144 How recent was the terrorist attack? If recent then it is almost certainly safer there now than it was last week. If not recent then probably not relevant to allow a refund.

Sadly attacks can happen anywhere in the word at any time but it s giving in to terrorism if people change their plans as a result.

It was in November 2022 around the time we were going. I’m still trying. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm a little confused by your post @Rasha144  I haven't seen anything in the media recently about major terrorist incidents in Turkey since January.

Which incident are your referring to?

Sadly in today's society there are terrorist attacks in most countries in the world including in your own country. 

While it wouldn't be sensible to travel with your family to areas in Pakistan, Afghanistan, India and Africa, as there is no current terrorist incident in Turkey there is no reason for the host or Airbnb to refund you as there is no live terrorist incident. 

It was in Nov when we were supposed to travel. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ah that makes more sense. You wrote your post in the present tense and didn't say you were talking about last November.

So are you saying there was an actual terrorist attack during the period you were due to stay and that you were due to stay in Istanbul?

If so I would appeal. @Rasha144 

They won’t do anything. They are going going with what the hosts says. Of course the host wouldn’t refund. 

Airbnb doesn’t assist in anything. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

They actually go on government advisories . 

it would have been better at the time if you had shared the Turkish government advisory that advised against travel to Istanbul because of the terrorist attack .

this would be what you needed to be able to claim under the EC policy for guest cancellations. 

Have you not put a claim in on your travel insurance? 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Rasha144 

Sorry to hear about this.

I've asked the team to take another look at this and reach out to you.

Someone should be in touch soon.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you very much. I was just emailed by the escalation department and glad to receive the refund. 

thank you 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Your stay was back in November and you are posting about it now, 4 months later; though you opened up with the words.."We have (a) reservation... ", like it is a current one. Did you just remembered there was a terrorist attack back then?

Rasha144
Level 2
Bedford, Canada

Update: I finally got my refund! Glad I escalated the case. 🙂

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Rasha144 ,

Thanks for coming back and letting us know of the updates. We appreciate it and are really glad that you were able to get back the refund.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines