Cancelling a booking after 14 minutes

David1157
Level 2
Riverview, Canada

Cancelling a booking after 14 minutes

Ugh...I booked an accomodation for a trip 3 weeks in the future. 14 minutes after booking I cancelled the booking as the rental was not appropriate for us as at first thought. We contacted the host immediately, within 20 minutes of booking and 6 minutes after cancelling.

They have strict cancellation policy and told us forget about getting any additional refund. I know that "Strict Cancellation" policy is good to prevent guests cancelling but I am disgusted that the host keeps $400 for a 14 minute booking.

Also, their listing has an empty calendar before and after my dates.

Why would a host refuse to refund after 14 minutes and when a trip is still 3 weeks away?

It's not like it impacted their calendar...or maybe I'm missing something on how it works.

I'm just feeling screwed over, that's all.

D

27 Replies 27
Duan62
Level 2
Minato, JP

this is my order and refund detail, I am about to prosecute airbnb to lawbnb to law

**[Image removed - Community Center Guidelines]

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm afraid, @Duan62, you might be throwing good money after bad. This is simply the terms and conditions you agreed to being applied. It's pretty rubbish of the host, but they're not breaking any laws other than moral ones.  

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

@David1157 There is something wrong here. That is not how the cancellation policy works. With a strict cancelation policy the guest has 48hs to cancel free of charge if the dates are at least 14 days away. 

Actually, this is how it works depending on the cancellation terms. I ran into a similar problem. The host actually accepted my reservation and then suggested that I don't stay there because I was concerned about some news related to flooding in the area. (I asked them about it < 12 hrs after booking.) So then I tried to cancel, but then the host refused to issue any refund (not even 50%). The posting/they had a strict policy of no refunds at all - I didn't read the policy carefully enough and was surprised by this since even non-refundable airplane tickets can be refunded within 24-48 hrs w/ no penalties. 

I just got taken for $369.65 by AirBnB for a canceled reservation that the host promised a full refund if I would go ahead and cancel.    The host came up with a suppliment Rental Agreement that she required me to sign that had very unworkable restrictions for the vacation we planned.   The host mutually agree and said she instructed AirBnB to give a full refund.   The host required my email to send the agreement and the request to contact her by email came directly from AirBnB first confirmation of my reservation.  I told the host that I should not communicate outside AirBnB.   She said their system would not accomodate her required agreement and that if I wanted to rent the condo I have to sign the agreement and return it signed.   I let her send it and that I when I discovered the requirements that were undisclosed in the AirBnB information.   The host agreed that I should cancel and assured me twice by phone and twice by emails that I would get a full refund.  

@Gerald620  When you want to cancel, it isn't a matter of the host telling you they will refund if you cancel. They are not bound to refund just because they tell you they will. Unfortunately, there are some unscrupulous hosts out there who make these refund promises to guests and then renege on them.

You are bound by the cancellation and refund policy of the listing. If you have a legitimate  reason for cancelling,and you are not within the 48 hour full refund period, you need to contact Airbnb to cancel, explaining why. They may or may not consider it grounds for a refund.

So this listing didn't mention this additional contract anywhere? Not in the House Rules section or anywhere in the listing info?

Vanessa1595
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I also made a mistake in making a reservation while using my iphone  and I immediately message  the host I wanted to cancel and they agreed but only refund me a small portion. Technically they charge me the two nights! Omg! It was an error and I tried cancelling at a responsible manner! My error shouldn’t have rob me 300 dollars. The host had no interest or care. Very shady very disappointing. Airbnb should offer a second notice on a reserve like Expedia. Vs automatically booking. If a lawsuit comes up please keep me posted I wanted my refund ! I would have been okay with 50 dollar penalty not charging me the full 2 tonight’s!  

Emma2746
Level 2
Warsash, United Kingdom

I’ve had the same issue! Was browsing and accidentally clicked a button to confirm booking. I cancelled within seconds and contacted air BnB support but it’s been 11 days and no luck with persuading hosts to refund me. Anyone have any luck with getting their refunds back or taking legal action? My accidental booking was for a very high value 😞 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's quite hard to accidentally book and you have to click to confirm at least three times before a booking goes through @Emma2746 

When is the booking for? You can cancel penalty free within 48 hours of booking as long as it's more than 14 days before your booking date.

What conversation have you had with the host about this. Have you asked them if they are able to rebook any of the dates would they refund proportionally?

You have no basis for legal action as the hosts cancellation policy is clear before you book and you have to actively decide to progress the booking at three stages.

Emma2746
Level 2
Warsash, United Kingdom

@Helen3 it is only 2 clicks. 1 click to view the booking (I was browsing), 2. Click “reserve” - I clicked this as wanted to view the full breakdown of fees as at this point the cleaning fee and booking fee gets added and 3rd click (made by accident) was “confirm and pay”. Another thing to add is that my iPhone touch screen is playing up. As of today I can show evidence of my iPhone behaving erratically opening up apps, scrolling and clicking buttons without me pressing anything!!! The cancellation was made within seconds because I made the booking by accident and didn’t want to book it. The booking was for 1 week later so does not fall beyond the 14 days. Hosts are currently not offering refund and being unresponsive. Airbnb still have this as an open case 

Anushka27
Level 1
California, United States

Hi Emma, 

I went through the exact same set of steps on my end. I know it's been some time since this happened, but were you able to get any resolution from Airbnb or the host directly? Neither are willing to support me and I have explained my situation multiple times. It does suck a host is willing to abuse their cancellation policy like this when they can get tenants that would be happy living in their unit.

Hi David:

So sorry you got taken. I just had a similar experience and have not been able to get my money back. 

On March 5, 2023 I booked a trip to Kailua, Hawaii from March 16-21. The Airbnb listing was for Kailua-Ocean Views 60’ pool, listing number 6302745. Within one hour of making the reservation I realized I’d booked the wrong week (we were unable to travel the week of March 16-21). I reached out to the host (Thomas) to ask for a refund and got no answer. I then contacted Airbnb to tell them about the mistake and they contacted the host directly. I didn’t hear back for several days and was told by Airbnb that the host was only required to refund half of the $3,669.71 that I was charged ($1,839.66). I believe this was unfair because I contacted him within an hour of making the reservation—and he opted to keep my money anyway. Just because the host can keep my money doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do. Beware of this host as he appears not to be a person of integrity. I made an honest mistake and he profited by keeping $1,830.05 (including cleaning fees, service fees and taxes) for a stay that never happened.

I’m a host for two properties on AirBnB. I’m surprised to hear that because there should be a 24 hr cancellation window from time of booking (like airlines) where no fees or penalties apply. I thought that was a newer policy but I didn’t see when you posted this. 

as a host with the strictest cancellation policy they allow, I have authorized full refunds for all cancellations made within 24-48 hours like you guys have explained., and even last minute cancellation requests I’ve been able to give them back the majority. I just tell them I’ll open up their dates on the other sites and whatever days book I’ll refund 100%. I can’t think of a time they haven’t gotten almost all of their money back (minus AirBnB’s) fee.

Ii will tell you, I’ve gotten reprimanded by AirBnB for offering this solution. I can’t imagine why because it takes hours on my part to work it out and they still get their fee and have happy guests but they tend to penalize hosts quite a bit in my experience. And sounds like hosts have been jerks with guests in these type situations. I’m sorry for that

I have very high-season  months and guests book a year in advance at all rentals so a later cancelation just punishes me. But I’ve worked out a way that at least allows for guests to recoup most or all of their money with me. I know there are a lot of hosts very willing to help. 

oh also, some listings are with property management companies who buy up a whole building or block. They are harder to work with than a host who owns their own. Btw, as a guest I’ve had no refund given within hours of the cutoff date while I’ve been ignored by the host. Happens unfortunately. 

good luck in the future. And try to work directly with hosts if you can. Easier