Cancelling a guest--Is it worth it?

Answered!
Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Cancelling a guest--Is it worth it?

Dear Experienced Hosts, 

I could use some advice based on your experiences. I am new to hosting. So here is the situation I am in right now. 

A guest send me an inquiry telling me my price was too high and if I would lower the fees for her.  I declined her query by saying these kinds of requests to go outside make me uncomfortable and I am sure you can find something within in your price range. I also reported the message. 

She was, then, able to book those dates anyway. I've learned the hard way, declining an inquiry is not enough to stop someone to instant book. Furthermore, I have 'good track record' instant booking, this guest has 2 trips and no reviews, but she was still able to book it. 

I contacted airbnb and didn't get any help. Is it too much to ask for someone who actually can write in proper English grammar so that I understand what they are saying? 

Anyway, I think they asked the guest to cancel, so the guest sent me this message now: 

"I am not cancelling it as I have agreed to pay whatever you are charging. So I don't understand why you are having a problem now?"

So this is already a bad start to host someone. I can't imagine what it's going to be like while she is here with her parent for a week. 

I think my options are to let it go and she will come and probably find issue at everything and leave a bad review OR I can cancel and take the penalty of canceling. I was just on my way to super host, kiss that goodbye but not deal with a bad review?

So potential bad experience that started bad with a potentially problem guest vs. the penalty of canceling with the guest and having that time frame blocked. 

Her trip is not until May 29th . So, what do you guys think? I could really use some advice. 

1 Best Answer
Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Hello Nur785. 

I think for your guest, to write “ I have agreed to pay whatever you are charging,” says it all. She feels she is already sacrificing her choice, to stay at your place. 

I do not offer Instant booking, so I can have at least some communication with the guest. 

I would contact her and try to get a new start with her and her parents stay. Maybe offer her something extra? If she is not happy with you and your new communication, then I would cancel  her stay and take the consequences from Airbnb. 

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nur785 if you are uncomfortable with a guest who has instant booked you can ask Airbnb to cancel free of penalty to yourself.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Thank you for your response. Really!! That would be great. The person I talked to told me I would be penalized and those dates would be blocked on my calendar even after I told them I was canceling because this person's combative messages made me uncomfortable to have them in my home. 

I'll try again.

I called back, talked to some one else and again, they said they don't have a resolution for me. When they do have a resolution they will call me back, and I probably will be penalized. 

Renee291
Level 7
Cincinnati, OH

I have used a "work around" before when I get an inquiry I don't feel comfortable with.  People asking me if they can bring 2 medium sized dogs (no pets), guest asking me to waive the cleaning fee "because they will clean before they leave" or similar. I'm afraid if I deny their request, they will still book and something negative will come out of it. The people will bring their dogs anyway, or the person who wanted me to waive the cleaning fee will leave a negative review, et cetera. So when I get the inquiry, I respond, then I go and block at least one of the days that they are trying to book so it's now unavailable. Sorry, your dates aren't available. That usually fixes that. To them, all they know is the date is no longer available, someone else could have booked in the meantime. But they are no longer my problem.  A day or so later, I unblock the dates.  

Thank you I will do that from now on. 

George1495
Level 2
Dover, NH

@Nur785 They asked for a better price, you said no, so they booked at full price. I don’t understand the issue.  Is it lack of reviews? We all started as hosts and guests with zero reviews. We have not had a bad experience with guests lacking a rating.

Hi George, Thank you for your response. It's not the lack of reviews. I've had guests with no trips or reviews before. 

She asked me to go outside airbnb and I said no, and I declined her inquiry and she booked anyway. She canceled it, then, she booked it again. 

When asked to cancel, she told me, since she was paying what I was charging, she didn't understand what my problem is. and that's also what you are saying, but to me this is an aggressive answer. 

In that situation I would have said something like, I'm sorry my initial request made you uncomfortable and I booked after you declined my inquiry, but I prefer not to cancel if that's okay. Or something to that affect. 

Maybe it's my inexperience or naiveté, but to me, this already flags a problematic stay. I guess that's my problem even though it may seem like a non problem to some. 

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Hello Nur785. 

I think for your guest, to write “ I have agreed to pay whatever you are charging,” says it all. She feels she is already sacrificing her choice, to stay at your place. 

I do not offer Instant booking, so I can have at least some communication with the guest. 

I would contact her and try to get a new start with her and her parents stay. Maybe offer her something extra? If she is not happy with you and your new communication, then I would cancel  her stay and take the consequences from Airbnb. 

Cancel the reservation,pay the fee and keep going. Do not let guests or Airbnb reviews control your life and mood. It is not worth it. Most hosts are trying to be nice,provide good experience to guests,offer them our houses and many other things that hotels dont offer,but at the end always will be someone not happy and not because of your place but of their own life.Many guests dont read the listing description and the provided amenities and they complain about something you do not offer. I had guests complaining about no food in the fridge and the kitchen. Guests will find for what to complain.