Cancelling part of a booking

Natasha388
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Cancelling part of a booking

Hello,

My guest has booked my place for 22 nights in May,  this has been booked since May last year and they are now wanting to cancel 10 of those nights.

How do you go about applying your cancellation policy to part of a booking like this? If I just alter it the cancellation policy wont apply. It is unlikely we will get all these nights re booked out now.

I contacted airbnb they appear to have no solution and the only options are to cancel the whole booking or alter it.

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

thank you 

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The problem is if you accept an amendment to the booking your cancellation charges won't apply @Natasha388 

You can't apply the cancellation policy to part of a booking I believe but do check with Airbnb. 

what cancellation policy do you have ? 

Natasha388
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

That right I dont think I can apply it to part of a booking, which leaves me unsure how to deal with this unusual situation. My cancellation policy is strict.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Natasha388

It's been a little while since you posted. What did you decide to do in this situation? Your answer might support other Hosts who find themselves in a similar situation. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Natasha388 I think things happen differently if the guest changes the dates rather than the host. Ask the guest to initiate a dates change and see what happens. The ideal is to get the dates opened up and then you can (if you want) offer to refund them if you get a replacement booking. Be clear with the guest though that any refund will not include the Airbnb fees as you don't control them.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Guest can send a reservation alteration request to host. If host agrees, clicks accept, there are no penalties and cancelation policy doesn't apply. (Its the same as if they had booked the new dates originally) 

Guest can send a reservation alteration request even after check in. 

Host can click decline but at that point guest can leave review. 

@John5097 My concern was slightly different. I suspect, but do not know, that if a host initiates the change then the guest's 48 hr free cancellation period resets. This would then allow them to cancel free of charge.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

As far as I know I don't think there is any difference  if guest or host initiates the change reservation request. 

The new dates would be the same as if they booked them originally so the cancellation policy would apply as if it were a new booking. 

I was surprised guest can initiate a change reservation request after check in. I only had this happen a few weeks ago. Guest even messaged that they loved the place, then 10 minuets later, messaged that they wanted to cancel their last 3 days of a 5 day stay. I responded back that they would need to cancel and I would refund if I rebooked the nights. They had booked 8 months prior. Said they didn't want to rent a car after all, even though they already asked where the closest Enterprise was some 8 months prior. Then I got the reservation alteration request. I approved it because I knew I could rebook the nights even on one days notice, and don't even care if I don't rebook. I just took the high road and said I hope they enjoy the rest of their trip. Otherwise would have gotten 1 star review. They ended up renting a car anyways, because they didn't understand the area, and had negotiated a discounted rate at a new listing. (I later read the review). 

Just pointing out that be prepared to either grant request or risk one star review.  

Why on earth would I allow longer stays? I maintain 95% occupancy rates with 5 night max. It's easier to rebook a few days instead of a few weeks. (Airbnb is always pushing for allowing longer stays) 

ETA: These were also the only guest to take a bag of coffee and box of tea. I leave one for them and everyone just uses it however much they need. But these decided to take that with them to the other Airbnb listing they booked after checking into mine. Once again I don't care, but just pointing out how some guest are. It's just an honor system and they didn't violate any policy.