Charging guests for damaged sheets & towels.

Answered!
Carissa4
Level 3
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Charging guests for damaged sheets & towels.

i have been having a lot of damaged sheets & towels lately, & when i mention to the guests that they will need to pay for them, a number of times the respnse is: "if i were to stay at a hotel, they would not charge me for such damage."

after a comment like that, i am worried to charge them for the damage out of fear a getting a bad review, but i am also losing a tremendous amount of money having to replace damaged sheets and towels.

can anybody advise me on this matter, & also share how they handle this sort of situation?

thank you for any help!

1 Best Answer

hm... can you shop via ebay? 

anyway... try to wash it on high temperature or just use bleech or vanish

View Best Answer in original post

62 Replies 62
Melanie900
Level 1
Bay St Louis, MS

I see that this is an older thread, but this issue is definitely ongoing! I got a tip from a friend who has hosted for years - make sure guests know right up front that any damages or unreasonable amounts of cleaning will be charged extra.

In my listing itself I have only the basic most important house rules, but with an additional explainer for guests brand new to Airbnb. One of those is - do NOT confuse me with a hotel by messing my stuff up or by stealing anything.

Then inside the room I have a printed house manual, Places to Go, Things to Know, where I again politely spell out the differences between me and a hotel chain. And mixed in with tons of tourist information is a very detailed list of house rules.

Right up front is damages to property, including linens, where I write that if a guest does not let me know that something has been damaged, they will automatically be charged an additional $100 service fee as soon as I find it. Including make up, oils, etc on towels and sheets.

And on the microwave is a label stating that an automatic additional cleaning fee will be charged if they do not use the plastic plate cover provided. I got so tired of guests leaving it looking like a splatter movie prop and the additional half hour it took to clean!

So far this all seems to be working as a deterrent.

I also have another host friend who only buys all linens on sale at Walmart, Tuesday Morning, Big Lots, etc. 

Most of y'all use white sheets and towels stop that 

We use white because we can bleach and sanitize them. Laundry soap doesn't kill germs or bacteria.