Check in Process > WiFi (observation)

Steve3189
Level 3
Bristow, VA

Check in Process > WiFi (observation)

My place is out of state and I have a cleaning person and a property manager handle the day to day stuff that I can't.   

I have been having issues with the electronic lock burning up some batteries so I guest have told me that they had an issue getting in the back door.  Those that don't I don't know that they have arrived and got in OK.   

But, I also have Spectrum cable that has an app that lets me know when a new device is connected. The lock isn't presently time delayed but I laugh how *quickly* some guests are logging into the WiFi.  I assume it's the kids...hey kids, look at your device while we unpack the car, but it kind of makes me laugh.  At least I know they got in OK.

I'm going to replace the locks when I'm vacationing in my own space with the kind that's connected to the internet.   Then I can set codes for each guest and it'll let me know when they get in and I can breathe easier. 

4 Replies 4

@Steve3189  Usually when I check in somewhere with inclusive WiFi, logging on is the first thing I do, by reflex. Unpacking can wait. 

It's also the second thing I show guests during their personal check-in, right after how to use the low-tech keys. Usually they want a moment to relax, have a beer, and check their messages before completing the orientation. 

I took a trip last week on my motorcycle.  I was so tired at the end of the day, I don't think I logged into the host's WiFi until the next morning.  But I hear ya, I need my data!

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Steve3189 

We have a digital lock and batteries on them fail.  To make sure that guests can get in, we also have a manual real estate lock box with a key inside.  That way when they text, we can give the guests the pin for the manual key box.  It's a backup only, so that if guests have an issue, at least there is a physical key. BTW, we've never had to use it.

I have a back up physical key as well.  When I offer it, folks go to the other door and are able to get it.  Nobody has needed the physical key.  🙂