Cleaning fees getting out of hand

Paul9195
Level 1
Paris, France

Cleaning fees getting out of hand

Should Airbnb put a cap on cleaning fees ? 

IMG_6862.JPG

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul9195 interestingly a high cleaning fee is advantageous to a guest as it is returned if they cancel their stay.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is the overall cost - The breakdown, apart from strange things like refunds, is totally irrelevant.

thank you for your reply. But I don’t understand what you mean. Are you saying a cleaning fee of $590 is ok ? I don’t understand the logic of your response.

@Paul9195  

Although $590 seems odd, I agree with @Mike-And-Jane0.

Look at your total, and compare it with other offerings. If a hotel or other short-term rental comes out on top, book with them.

No need to cap. Listings are set for what works for the host and the guest. If something isn’t working, the host will revisit it.  Nothing speaks louder than putting your money where your mouth is.

Hello we are sorry for the delay you can make your deposit through Give Card and send us the payment of proof for the Give card okay? 

@Paul9195 if I stay free for 2 nights and pay a $600 cleaning fee it is identical to paying $300 per night and no cleaning fee. That is the logic of my response

I'm not sure the problem reported here is a "cleaning fee" increase issue.   If a cleaning fee appears ridiculous (which this one obviously is), what's forcing anyone to book the property?   Thisso-called  cleaning fee here is highly suspicious  and a red flag, particularly when you consider the very low per diem rental fee...   My sense is that the landlord shows these number to justify diverting the "cleaning fee" to a related person or "prête-nom" in order to  split the income and minimise his fiscal liability.   If it sounds ridiculous and fells ridiculous, it probably is. Stay away from it.

I've had rental properties for over 20 years, and the cost of cleaning, post Covid, has doubled from pre-Covid.   I charge the actual costs, $225.00 for a very large 4 bedroom, 3 washroom chalet on a lake.   The example given here does not appear to have connection with the real issue of "increasing cost of cleanings" for landlords.  What business is it of the platforms to judge what our cleaning is or should be.  

I addition, in some jurisdictions, like Quebec, the "cleaning fee" is not subject to the  "lodging tax";  Could be he's trying to minimize that tax for the tenant.  But when the tax man comes to check the logic of the numbers that won't fly. 

Paul9195
Level 1
Paris, France

That’s insane.