Cleaning service responsibilities

Cleaning service responsibilities

Hello,

I'm wondering what other hosts do about managing some of the tedious yet important details of short term rentals.  I have been managing 3 properties on my own.  The cleaning service cleans, restocks supplies for the guests, makes bed, and does the laundry.  I visit bi-weekly to check up on my cleaners, check light fixtures, change filters, purchase supplies, make sure guest welcome book is in order, etc.  Do other hosts pay their cleaners to do these tasks? I've considered hiring someone to manage, but I have a hard time letting go.  I don't think a third party will have the attention to detail that I have.

I recently began employing a more detailed checklist for my cleaning service to use.  They've been checking off the items, but I'm certain that doesn't mean they've actually completed that task.   It seems they are always missing something.  I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.  Just trying to get a feel for what works for others.

Thanks,

Tracy

6 Replies 6
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Tracy831 No-one cares as much as you do about the 'little' things. I repeatedly ask that they check (and remove) things such as spiders webs,  items left under beds but I constantly find them. I think you would have to find the right person or pay a lot to do care like we do!

As a housekeeper and forced to be property manager(not paid for that) unless you're willing to pay people more than what was agreed upon, if you're asking for them to do more without a pay increase then I wouldn't expect them to do anything more. Time is money they're a business just like you are. Please understand we are people as well and sometimes we forget or we don't see everything. Best of luck to ya

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Tracy831 I'm with you.....I do not hire out - I know they are distracted, and just will not do it the way you do.....you could set up rewards, $$ IF they do everything on your list and get a mention in the reviews about how clean the place is. Of course you  must check behind for awhile to make sure. 

I once upon a time worked at Holiday Inn in Colorado as asst. housekeeper and I inspected the rooms behind the housekeepers/maids.....continually there was stuff under beds, poop, jewelry, snack, tags, etc.....so I told all the housekeepers I found $20 under a bed and kept it. Guess what - the issue was solved, they checked under those beds immediately!! just a thought.....hahaha - I say, if it works use it. Happy Hosting, @Clara

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

When one of my condos was managed by this particular property management company, there was someone called a “checker” who would come in after the cleaner and check some of the items you mentioned - things like light bulbs, fans, TVs, filters, and cleanliness items the cleaner might have missed. The checker wouldn’t typically clean or replace anything - she would contact the property management office and/or the cleaner if anything was amiss.

When I no longer had a property management company, I realized how valuable “checking” was. Even with the best of cleaners, things can get missed (for instance, once the checker found a couple of spots of mildew on a shower liner in a dimly-lit room that the cleaner had missed), and it’s always good to get a second pair of eyes to do a walk-through. Plus, some cleaners hate to mess with electronics, plugs, light fixtures, etc. as that can send them down a rabbit hole if something doesn’t work, and add more hours to their clean.

However, my cleaner is absolutely excellent, and she is doing a bit more than usual for me now that there is no checker. For instance, she will keep her eye on equipment, appliances, outside hoses, window louvres, sliding doors, shades, etc. and let me know immediately if she sees anything even slightly off. She will also pick up boogie boards, light bulbs, etc. at the local Costco or Walmart for me. I also have an electronics-savvy friend that will help guests if they have problems with the “Smart TVs” (probably named so because you need to be a genius to figure them out sometimes).

Somehow, over the last 5 years, we usually manage to keep the guests happy, which is the ultimate goal.

Second set of eyes is invaluable, even with the most fastidious, 5 star team.

Many are looking for side hustles, with photo/video and other tech apps,  would be very easy to monitor the person who follows along after the housekeeper..