Customer service refunding guest for false claims. Is airbnb too guest biased?

Customer service refunding guest for false claims. Is airbnb too guest biased?

Dear community,

wanted to bring to your attention one of many occurrences where airbnb support lately arbitrarily chose to fully refund a guest that had relatively small issue:

guest checks in, notices stains on the towels, towels get immediately replaced. Guest reaches out to airbnb sending pictures of the old towels. At that point we go again, replace again the towels, the guest is now preemptively trying everything she can to get a full refund and refuses any kind of assistance.

Airbnb refunds the guest completely, doesn't listen to our version of the story (we had two different customer service representatives showing up, therefore two different witnesses), and all they do is sending those pre edited messages they have in their 'saved messages' list where they say that the cancellation was refunded and that they're sorry and bla blah bla.

I'm speechless, and am wondering if we shall escalate this to a legal level with airbnb and the guest for false claims.

Is anyone else frustrated with airbnb customers service being too guest-oriented?

3 Replies 3

I would also like to share the careless answers we receive from airbnb customer service, they have 5-10 saved messages they use to close a case within 10 minutes and then move onto the next case. It's disgusting. I'm really speechless.

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Paul9287
Level 1
New York, NY

Not at all.

I have spent over 180 days in Airbnb's on 3 different continents in the last year and am one of the most loyal customers.

My host was hosting us in an Illegal listing in New York City and the landlord found out and started harassing us. The Landlord asked us to LIE and tell him we were his friends and that his sister was staying in the other bedroom. I felt terribly uncomfortable about the whole thing and contacted airbnb and shared what was going on and asked if I cancel, would I be charged anything else. 

As you can hear in the recording, the support rep told me 4 times I wouldn't be charged and they charged me another $1,800. I recorded it in case this situation happened.

I have spoken to 7 reps now (i'm counting) over the last 5 days. The manager of the support team listened to the call and said he did hear the employee say that 4 times. My case has been passed off to 4 different people now who keep telling me they will follow up and no one ever does! They keep pushing this down the line.

How do you treat loyal customers so terribly with this type of support?

Here is the link to the recording where they cold me 4 times I wouldn't be charged:

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Dwell-AZ1
Level 1
Tempe, AZ

That was certainly my suspicion too but I think primarily customer service is just trying to do as little as possible. They certainly don’t challenge any guest claims at all and the dad of the seem to be guest and female biased.  I launched  a private room listing the first of the year, and through the first three months nearly half of the guess who arrived were under the impression they had booked an entire home listing.  Why?  They just didn’t bother to read the listing, I suppose. 

regardless, this was becoming a real issue because they would arrive same day, and then want to cancel for free. more often than not they would just fraudulently claim the listing was double booked - more often than not they just said “there’s someone else here!” and CS doesn’t even bother to check what sort of listing it is.  They’ve issued multiple refunds without contacting me at all - nearly all so far. I have been refunded, but it took hours. Finally after a few months one guest’s false claim managed to get both of our listing, suspended without any inquiry, or even any information as to what the allegation was - for two weeks before it was released.  By then, we had already launched a new profile and duplicated the listing, but come on! Absolutely ridiculous.  I recommend it listing on Booking.com.