Damage dispute and incorrect resolution to the case

Mayank44
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Damage dispute and incorrect resolution to the case

I had booked a property in UK for 3 nights. On the first evening, the lights went out and I realised there is no electricity or hot water in the apartment. I messaged the host who did not reply till next morning and then said she will get it fixed. A guy came over who was not much helpful and the problem remained. 

We stayed without electricity or hot water throughout the stay and decided to leave early on the 3rd day. 

A couple of days later, to my surprise, I received a damage claims notice for £2200 for damaging their induction hob!

I messaged the host reminding her that since there was no electricity there was no way we could have used an electric hob, forget damaging it. This was a false claim. The host ignored my messages and got AirBnB involved.

After 3 months, Airbnb decided in host's favour. I appealed the decision which was also upheld and AirBnB is asking me to pay up the amount which is complete injustice with no fault of mine. 

What other avenues do I have to take this up further in the UK as I am willing to fight this in court if needed, for the sake fairness and justice given to guests using Airbnb. 

Guests should not be forced to pay for damages not done by them and not proven to be done by them by hosts. It has become increasingly easy for hosts on this platform to blatantly demand any amount from guests. 

Just for clarity, I have even found out that the hob does not cost £2200, its around £1400 including installation. So the host is clearly trying to make some extra money out of this stay or was probably afraid I am going to make a claim for lack of basic amenities as promised in the listing. So he decided to slap a claim first. 

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mayank44 determining the truth of what has gone on will be near impossible I am afraid. Perhaps the best you can do is to refuse to pay and wait for Airbnb to take action against you. I doubt they will so you will probably just end up with your account being deleted.

Thanks @Mike-And-Jane0 . I dont know if I should just ignore it. I really dont mind my account being deleted as I am never going to use this platform with such a disappointing dispute process. But I am a bit wary of an repercussions on my credit history and such. 

@Mayank44 Fair point. I don't see how you can take Airbnb to court as you have suffered no loss. I would monitor your credit history closely (you can subscribe to services for this) and then wait and see what happens.

Thanks @Mike-And-Jane0 . Thats exactly what I would do. 

@Mayank44 In a similar situation with host trying to get reimbursed for damages I did not do. What was the outcome after you ignored Airbnb?