Deactivate a Seasonal Rental?

Aaron1242
Level 2
Plymouth, MI

Deactivate a Seasonal Rental?

Hi All!  We have a family vacation cottage in Northern Michigan that we host in June, July, and August for week-long stays only (manage/clean/lawncare ourselves) when we aren't using it.  We have been nearly fully booked for the past 3 summers for the weeks available, with a 5-star rating, glowing reviews, and "Guest's Favorite" status.  This spring I have noticed that we are much, much further down in the search listings than in previous years.  As in you have to be zoomed in on the map to within maybe a square mile of the house before our listing is even visible.  With a high rating, I think our position in the search listings must be due to not having a ton of rentals numerically over the past 3 years, even though the house is pretty much booked for all of the time it is available.  Typically, I just block out the weeks we aren't hosting (which ends up being most of the year) but leave the listing up.  Would it be better to deactivate the listing during the fall and winter months, and then reactivate it in the spring?  Would that improve our position on the search listings?  Any ideas or experience would be appreciated!

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Aaron1242 I will give an anecdotal reply as I fear that is all people can offer you. When we snoozed our listings for a few months they did well when switched back on. As such I do think removing the listing and then starting it again each year could help you.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Aaron1242 👋

It's been a while since you posted and I'm wondering whether you managed to get a resolution to your question about deactivating your listing? 

It'd be great to hear from you, so we can understand what you decided to do but also to support other Hosts who may have similar questions in the future. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines