Did not receive a full refund even though I canceled before the required date.

Emily2154
Level 2
Mandeville, LA

Did not receive a full refund even though I canceled before the required date.

I booked an Airbnb stay to Scottsdale and purchased insurance on January 15, 2024. The total cost of the stay was$3374.59 and they took the first deposit of $1734.72 that day. The policy stated a full refund if canceled by March 2, 2024. I canceled my trip on Feb. 15 and expected a full refund as stated in my Airbnb contract. They refunded me back $1536.21 and said that I had to file a claim with Generalitravel for the remainder $198.51 because I purchased insurance. If I had not purchase insurance, Airbnb would have given my full refund back.  I don't understand this process! I could understand if it was after the cancelation date of March 2, 2024.

I tried MANY times to file a claim. The website does not allow you to get passed the claim stage. I typed in the policy # and it said they recognized the policy. I tried several phone calls to 1-877-243-4135, 1-866-757-0010, 1-800-541-3522, which tell you to file a claim on line. I tried contacting Airbnb many times. They said that they attempted to escalate this now through the standard channels (ie AirBnB customer support and the general customer support line at Genarali). In all cases, the representative to whom I am speaking will conclude that it is the other company's problem. This is an infinite loop I am unable to escape. 

5 Replies 5

Hi @Emily2154 

For any cancellation, you would normally not be refunded the Airbnb Guest Service Fee unless you purchased insurance...which you did. I suspect the difference not refunded was the Airbnb Guest Service Fee? There seems to be an issue with Travel Insurance Claims with Generali. See this thread:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Support-with-your-bookings/Generali-insurance-claim-submission-g...

Seems you need to create an account with Generali FIRST, then go in and submit your claim?

Going through this now. Complete nightmare and feels illegal. 100% refund except for the insurance which is useless when you cancel the Airbnb reservation?! Very fishy, talking to an Airbnb supervisor about this now. Did you get any resolution?

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Ben6146, I am sorry about this.

Have you contacted the Airbnb Support team? >>Here<< is the link where you can do that, just in case you find it useful.

Keep us posted.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Emily2154, I am sorry about this situation.

Did you manage to resolve this, perhaps by first creating an account with Generali as suggested by Joan?

Please keep us posted.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Emily2154 what was the $198.51 for? Was it the Airbnb service fee or was it the cost of the insurance you took out? Generally insurance premiums are non refundable.