Dirty guests who stole towels

Answered!

Dirty guests who stole towels

My first guest--a group of four fishermen--removed four bath towels, 1 hand towel, and 6 bath cloths.  Because they were my very first guests, I priced the house well under fair market value and charged them only a $50 cleaning fee, even though the cleaning staff charged me an upfront cleaning fee of $99.  These initial guests left rotting remains of the fish they caught in the rear yard, very close to the house, causing a big stench, and smoked indoors (in violation of our house rule).  I sent several messages to the lead guest, asking him to reimburse me for the cost of the missing towels and the additional cleaning, especially because the house was newly renovated, and everything was brand new (including the roof, ac and furnace,  septic system, most appliances, furniture, towels, bedding, etc. etc.). He simply ignored me.  I was going to let it go,  and told him I'd "gift" him the towels and bathmat he took because he obviously was desperately in need of some, and he could "pay it forward" when in a better financial position, but I just discovered this email from my cleaning lady:  "Just wanted to let you know if all the guest are like the ones that just left, it's not humanly possible to clean, sanitize, do laundry and reset--not even in five hours!  I have got to return tomorrow just to finish laundry and try and get the smell gone out of fridge and kitchen, smells like raw fish!  Not very clean guys!  They even took the duvet covers off...who does that? Anyway my rant is over but you do have less towels and bath cloths.  No idea!"  She spent 11 hours(!) resetting the house.  I wanted to file claim, but my co-host and husband are worried about retaliation if I file a claim and strongly discourage it, since it's the very first guest.  What would you do?

1 Best Answer
Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Hello Ev18. 
So sorry this was your first bad experience. 
Don’t lower your prices, you have a nice place, renovated and clean.  Guests do not need to bargain with you. Hotels don’t let people bargain with the price. 
Good luck to you in the future. I hope your next

guests are great!! 

Please leave an honest review for the next host. 

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Siva73
Level 1
Pelham, NH

Thats so bad of them. I can only empathize with you.. Some bad people do exist. They will pay for their karma. I am intolerant to such things.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The best thing you can do  is: Learn from this experience. Forget the small loss, think of the future.

1. Revisit your limit of people (why 7, why not 6 limit in a 3-bedroom place.)

2. Price - at $190 / 7 = $27 per person. Try $199 first 2 (or 4) and $50 per last 2 = $300 total. Now you have some headroom.

3. If you live next to a lake where fishing is the thing, provide the cleaning facilities etc so it all happens outside. We have a similar fishing scene.

4. Seems like no one had a clue what was happening in the place till after they left. No good.

5. Whatever you do not collect by the time guests leave - is a hassle at best to collect.

Do not get discouraged whatsoever, it is a journey. Be happy about your first experience, it is an opportunity to learn.

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Ev18,as @Fred13 , has stated learn from experience, but also leave an honest review of your past guest so that other hosts do not encounter the same issues.

Good reminder!

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Hello Ev18. 
So sorry this was your first bad experience. 
Don’t lower your prices, you have a nice place, renovated and clean.  Guests do not need to bargain with you. Hotels don’t let people bargain with the price. 
Good luck to you in the future. I hope your next

guests are great!! 

Please leave an honest review for the next host.