Do I accept this booking?

Answered!

Do I accept this booking?

I opened up June 30th-July 12th on the calendar this morning.  Minimum 3 nights. Someone has requested 3 nights (July 1st, 2nd, 3rd). They have zero reviews which gives me pause plus no details on their profile. This request means I lose the possibility of having someone on the 30th as well. 

Obviously, I'd prefer a longer booking but this is, I know, the nature of the beast. It's the lack of reviews plus the potential loss on the front end that has me scratching my head. Just curious how others would handle this.

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Steve-and-Tomomi0 

Have you got the button turned on which says that you require a real photo of the person if they book with you?   

If so, according to the link below, if the person who has reserved with you but has a picture of an ape (Pleeease!) you would have grounds to cancel by contacting Airbnb CS if they do not provide you with a clear picture of themselves.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2377

All the best

Joëlle

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8

@Steve-and-Tomomi0 

We've had some of the most delightful guests who were new to the platform, no reviews, no record as guests. We got to spoil them with hospitality, so they become more frequent happy users and great guests. An investment, so to speak. We all started out there, right? A lovely 4th to you!

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I do hear you. I forgot to mention the potential guest has an ape as their profile avatar. Maybe I'm just getting old but seriously?

I would only accept a booking from a new guest with this sort of profile that answers my vetting questions and provide a clear photo of themselves @Steve-and-Tomomi0 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Steve-and-Tomomi0 go with it but do communicate ,communicate ,communicate. Use the phone number if they dont reply ,ask for id to be sent through ,telling the guest that you do not have access to the ID that they provided to Airbnb but that for the safety of all ,you need to know who will be staying in the house and also ask for reasons for travel ,arrival times and let them know that you are available to answer any questions they may have about the property... a bird in the hand as they say... H

Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

@Steve-and-Tomomi0 

If I may, I suggest you add to your House Rules:

"In order to book a reservation at this property the Primary Guest's face must appear in your profile photo, for security reasons."  and "Registered Guests Only= No daytime visitors or overnight guests."  

Always message the guest via Airbnb (so that you have proof of every conversation).

If they don't reply within an hour, text their cell but only say "Hello XXX, This is your Host XXX.  Please go to your Airbnb account and reply to my Airbnb message. Thank you."

In your Airbnb message to the guest:

Ask the guest to please update their profile photo to a photo of him/herself without glasses, hat, etc. for security reasons.

Then ask them to confirm the exact number of adults/children/infants and vehicles who will be on your property.

Always a good idea to have these discussions so everyone is on the same page.

I agree with your initial point, I fear someone will book the min. number of nights over the 4th of July weekend. I've noticed many hosts are changing their 2 night minimum to 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 nights.

I think this summer is going to be a very busy summer!

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Steve-and-Tomomi0 

Have you got the button turned on which says that you require a real photo of the person if they book with you?   

If so, according to the link below, if the person who has reserved with you but has a picture of an ape (Pleeease!) you would have grounds to cancel by contacting Airbnb CS if they do not provide you with a clear picture of themselves.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2377

All the best

Joëlle

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Steve-and-Tomomi0 also be aware that Airbnb expect you to accept most bookings unless there is a good reason not too. Do your due diligence and do not cancel for minor reasons as a certain number of cancellations can effect your super host status... H

Thanks Helen,

That is sound advise!

S