Do you get more unhappy guests during the holiday period?

Answered!
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Do you get more unhappy guests during the holiday period?

The reason I am asking this is because I feel I do...

Source: Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images

Now, I know that I live somewhere which is dark and often cold, wet and miserable during the winter months and guests are therefore less likely to be cheerful than in the summer, yet I have always found Xmas/New Year to be a particularly problematic period compared to the rest of the winter.

Perhaps it's because guests spending time away from family and friends at this time are more likely to be lonely and unhappy. But, what about the ones that have purposely chosen to travel elsewhere rather than be with friends and family? What about the guests who come from cultures where they don't celebrate Xmas, or have a different New Year, and therefore it's no big deal? 

While I have had some lovely guests stay over this period, every single year, without fail, I get problematic guests and the ratio of bad v good guests shoot up and my ratings go down.

What is this about?

And yes, I have tried the Xmas cards, gifts, treats etc. to make them feel more at home, but the type of problematic guests I am talking about rarely appreciate these gestures. In fact, many will leave the cards unopened, throw the gifts and treats in the bin etc. and certainly not bother thanking me or mentioning it in their review...

1 Best Answer

@Huma0  OK, well, it is not easy to motivate depressed people, but, maybe it would be helpful if you go to tourist info center and pick up some brochures about events, fairs and festivals during Christmas time and leave it in their room.  Every year I browse and print all free events with locations and dates and a short description for my guests. I also make a map of the city center in Illustrator and mark all recommended locations where something is going on.  My guests appreciate this map more than some welcome basket and it is usually the first thing they grab and look to when they arrive.  Maybe you could try something like that next year 🙂

My friend is renting the house to Erasmus students. There are 12 of them at the same time. She brings Christmas decorations and make them decorate the house. They also have to make Christmas cakes with her , she says they are always enjoying this "family atmosphere". 

Maybe it would lift your mood as well 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34

@Ruth413  I think you're right that Xmas can attract strange guests too. We had a "weird" couple stay in our small cottage for just the one night of the 25th, and they were super nice, but I found it SO odd they came up for just that one night. Christmas. And he later wrote to me: "would love to come back sometime with the kids" !!!!! wtf. this dude has kids but he had xmas at my cottage with some other woman? ! I assume he was divorced, but the whole thing was just a bit too weird. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

The divorce scenario sounds like a likely explanation, especially if both parents have remarried. The parents will often alternate who has the kids over Xmas. One night does seem a bit odd, but perhaps it was just a treat for Christmas.

I used to have guests check in on Xmas Day, which seems like a really odd day to choose to travel, but I guess it's because flights are a lot cheaper on that day than in the days before and after. What most of them didn't realise was that there is the airports are really far out of town, plus there is no public transport here on Xmas Day and taxis, which are already expensive, charge double. So, they end up sometimes not saving money at all and are grumpy before they even get here!

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Huma0 

We have always done well at this time of the year with Russian tourist it's a popular destination for them they always good they do like a good holiday maybe 2 or3 weeks and you must have a full kitchen they like to cook at home,

Their Christmas is I think 6 or 7th of January, 

I think if you lived in -30 you would be happy here in Phuket by the pool having a BBQ and a few beers.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Huma0  well at the risk of the eye roll.... of course I don't have this experience cos it's summer! YAY.  We actually had a family stay in our cottage over xmas who told us they were "running away" from family commitments.  I find this amusing because only in Adelaide (although perhaps the UK is similar?) do they think going 40mins away is "a long way".   I put up a xmas tree for these guests (as I knew they had little kids). I had guests the week before (arabs, Muslim) and I gave their kids Australian animal xmas tree decorations to put on the tree, and they were so happy with that! I'm SO tired of hearing that other cultures will be "offended" by Christmas traditions. That attitude is actually bigoted, because who thinks that some travellers from certain regions are small minded?  

I know Christmas can be a lonely time for some, plus winter in the UK is not renowned for being awesome, so it's bound to happen. I would put your prices up sky high for the Xmas/NY season. We also increased our prices but we made rum balls, and put a bottle of bubbles or rosé for each guest. I don't think you can make unhappy people happy, and it's too much of a burden on you to even try. I love that you are concerned about it, but you can't fix Broken People. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

I totally agree with you RE the tree and decorations. I've never had guests complain about them. In fact, guests usually comment on how pretty the tree is, regardless of where they come from.

What I did find though is that guests from certain Asian countries, while they were not offended, didn't really appreciate the Xmas treats left in their room. One year I put Christmas cards, mince pies, little shots of whisky or brandy and Christmas crackers in the rooms. Some cards were just left lying where they were opened, some thrown straight in the bin, and some not even opened at all. The mince pies were also thrown in the bin and none of these guests thanked me for any of it. Perhaps they didn't understand what it was all about...

The one exception was a girl from Hong Kong who ran out and bought me a gift from Fortnum's. When she left, I found the Christmas Cracker carefully unwrapped in her room. She must have thought it was a present and that she needed to buy me one. I felt so bad. They were not fancy crackers, so no doubt there was a crappy 'gift' inside! This young lady actually came back for a long stay some months later when she moved to London. I explained the cracker thing to her and apologised 🙂

While Hong Kong is a former British colony and I find that guests from there are pretty familiar with British culture, I guess crackers are just not a thing there. What did really surprise me though was a pair of American girls who asked me what they were. They thought perhaps giant party poppers? They had never heard of Xmas crackers. Only the European guests had any clue what they were. Anyway, now I just leave cards and also bought a proper gift for my very long term guest.

I can see how it can be a lonely time. Most of my guests over the Xmas/NY period have been solo travellers. Perhaps they thought it was a good idea and realised later it is not that much fun to be on your own at that time of year...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

Oh, and RE putting prices up sky high... There is not much point when you host stays of 28 days or more, especially when some guests are booking for two, three or more months.

However, when I did short stays, I did start putting my Xmas/New year rates up and they were priced higher than any other time of the year. I don't think it made a difference though in the quality of guests. I know a lot of hosts say that higher prices attract better guests but, whenever I've put my prices up, I really haven't noticed an improvement.

Perhaps it makes a bigger difference when you're renting out entire units, or just to holiday makers. I am not sure.

@Huma0. I think its part of a global trend towards a simpler life that many Christmas traditions no longer make sense. I stopped buying mince pies years ago; the crackers didnt even come out this year and the tree stayed in the closet- but we did put up lots of string solar lights outside and banned presents (easy when no little kids). Having said that I recommended to close all STRs for Christmas Day itself, mainly because Boxing Day was all booked up with large family groups staying a week each so who can do a proper same day clean turn around or get a cleaning crew? And trees and dogs? Lol....

Winter is notorious for SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and people still seem to have such high expectations for Christmas magically being different to the rest of their year. You cant fix that.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Frances3408 

Yes, I am sure that SAD could be a factor too. I suffer from it myself, but my symptoms are more to do with fatigue than depression, so I forget how much it can affect people mentally as well. Some of the symptoms include:

• a persistent low mood
  • a loss of pleasure or interest in normal everyday activities
  • irritability
  • feelings of despair, guilt and worthlessness

So, those would certainly explain some of the guest behaviour.

Another thing to consider is that guests also often don't consider that most things (including pubic transport) are shut here on Christmas Day. They then find themselves with nothing to do and nowhere to go, which was maybe not how they pictured spending the day.

I've tried hosting on holidays (Christmas and Thanksgiving) and I will never do it again.

I had one high maintenance guest completely ruin my Thanksgiving because he kept wanting to make changes to his reservation after he arrived. And he wanted to make the changes on Thanksgiving Day. This of course required intervention by AirBNB CS. 

So instead of spending my holiday enjoying time with my family, I spent 4 hours trying to add a guest to this guy's reservation, who ultimately never even came. He kept messaging me every 15 minutes for "updates".

He's also a guest who didn't read my listing is completely non-smoking inside or out and "what should he do?"  

I've had other guests who were grumpy over Christmas because they didn't realize I was so far away from the people they were visiting. Dude, that's what a map is for. Not my fault, but my review took the hit anyways. 

I just block the holidays now so I am assured that mine isn't ruined by a grumpy, high-maintenance, entitled guest. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rick4645 yes, I am afraid annoying guests don't stop being annoying just because it's a holiday. However, you would think they would have some consideration for the host who might, you know, have a life too?

I remember one girl who was checking in on Christmas Day (I don't know why I thought this was a good idea when I started hosting) and I agreed providing she would arrive by X time as I needed to get to my family Christmas lunch. Her flight landed in good time, but she still showed up very late and didn't bother to update me as she had promised. 

So, I waited, still gave her a proper check in tour, but then said I had to dash. I was polite and friendly even though she offered no apology for leaving me waiting. She marked me down and complained in her review because I didn't carry her suitcase upstairs and complained that there were stairs, and about other stuff clearly stated on the listing. I do usually offer to help with cases, but by this point my sister-in-law was furious I wasn't there yet and had told me they were not going to wait for me any longer. I am not sure anyway why a large, able bodied 22-year-old thinks that a smaller, middle-aged woman should be carrying her cases. I don't remember advertising porterage on my listing.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Zagreb is a well-known destination during Advent. Weekend prices are the highest, double than during any other period including the top season. There are fairs and festivals everywhere in the city , streets are all lit, it's a big circus which lasts for 6 weeks.

I make sure our guests get all available info about where to go, what to see and what to do so they are very busy exploring the city and HAVING FUN 🙂

I am sure that's why they came to Zagreb and what makes them happy so our experience with December guests is very good (knock on wood)

I do some modest decorating, leave a small welcome basket with chocolate etc like always, nothing special. We don't accept 1 nighters and small kids,  check in/out is not possible on Saturday, on 23-25 December , NY eve and January 1.. Min stay for NY eve is 4 nights to avoid parties.

Our guests in December are mostly from Croatia , Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia and EU.  Every year at least one group of our guests (with Croatian roots living in America or Australia) have family reunions in Zagreb during Advent period.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Croatia is in my top 3 destinations for next time I travel. I know quite a few Aussies who rave it about, and as you say, they visited due to ancestry but it's certainly a destination country without that, and your description of Xmas makes it sound divine. 

I did have a chuckle at the "no small kids", perhaps that's why you have happier guests 😆. We host families here in one of our listings and I watch the poor parents continue to work hard to entertain the kids, there's not much of a 'holiday' for them. 

Tnx @Gillian166  if you ever come to Zagreb let me know 🙂

Yes, your observation is right, I also noticed a big difference in mood and energy between a group of friends or colleagues vs family group with small (or teenage !) kids. Don't even get me started about exhausted mothers and some useless schmuck playing a protective father role 😄

But what I want to say is - our December guests are happy because they are having fun in the city and enjoying the Advent circus, not because our place and we offer something extraordinary.

So, basically it is out of our control @Huma0 .  How does London look like and what does it offer in December?

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Gillian166 Croatia is a gorgeous country. I went once with my parents and I remember going to the Plitvice Lakes National Park, definitely a recommendation!

We had some bad luck on that trip as our camper broke down and we had to drive back home with a rental car. A blessing in disguise though as they gave us a rather fancy, brand new car. 😃

I'm sure @Huma0 would know more but I know one huge event in London in December is Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. It's a huge funfair with Christmas stalls and theme park rides, quite fun!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sybe 

Yes, I have been to Winter Wonderland, but only once. It was absolutely freezing that evening, but we still had a lot of fun. I believe it expanded a lot after that, but then closed due to COVID. I don't know if it's back up to its previous scale yet?