Do you iron sheets?

Answered!
Angie601
Level 4
Victoria, Australia

Do you iron sheets?

Hi everyone

I'm new to hosting with my little cottage being listed for the past 3 months.

I want my guests to enjoy a 5 star stay so I take particular care with my bedding and I iron my linens.

My friends tell me I'm crazy and some that are also hosts tell me just to iron the top of the sheets that guests see.

I'm interested to know what others do.

Thank you for your feedback. 

Angie

2 Best Answers
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I'm all for ironing, all top quality cotton. But this discussion has been had in great depth before, there are several long threads on it.  Many hosts will think it's insane to iron but you do you. Guests will adore it. 

View Best Answer in original post

@Angie601 "I also touch up when I put the sheet on the bed"

As you're a new host, I will check in with you about a year from now, to see if you are still ironing the sheets. 😉

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I'm all for ironing, all top quality cotton. But this discussion has been had in great depth before, there are several long threads on it.  Many hosts will think it's insane to iron but you do you. Guests will adore it. 

Thanks Sandra, I'm going to continue to iron. I'm passing through Hepburn on Friday to buy a second-hand ironing press to make it a little easier 😄

I think you should definitely iron sheets, pillow cases and covers even if it’s only to kill all of the germs.  

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

No I don't iron (generally, duvet cover and fitted sheets only). My guests don't seem to care.

Ps, I read a great tip from (if memory serves)  @Robin4. He lays the flat sheet on the bed and irons it there. 

I also touch up when I put the sheet on the bed but I find you can't do the sides of the fitted sheet successfully when they are on the mattress

@Angie601 "I also touch up when I put the sheet on the bed"

As you're a new host, I will check in with you about a year from now, to see if you are still ironing the sheets. 😉

@Colleen253 I ironed sheets for 14 years for accommodation. I see it as part of the job. It's quite pleasant. Also I am extremely efficient at it by now. 

@Sandra126 Well, I might consider it if I needed to improve the guest experience, but I seem to be doing ok in that department so for now I’ll save myself the hassle. I do clean and tend my own Airbnb and linens are my biggest headache.

Interesting to learn about what others do, and different perspectives. 

@Angie601 @Huma0 @Sarah977 @Emilia42 @Mike-And-Jane0 

Of course, no guest will notice or care if not ironed. But they will certainly notice if you do. I guess it depends very much on the fabric. @Colleen253 

it’s necessary to kill the bacteria unless of course you are boiling them

i definitely expect them to be ironed when I go into an Airbnb

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Angie601  No, I don't iron sheets. Like others, I'll do a touch up on the top of the top sheet that folds down, and any extreme wrinkles, but I do that on the bed, which is much easier than on an ironing board.

Not only has no guest ever complained, I get reviews that mention how great the bed was. One guest called  it "divine".

And when I jokingly mentioned to a guest that I hoped she didn't expect ironed sheets, because I don't do that, she looked at me like I was nuts and said she'd never ironed a sheet in her life (she was a 44 year old homeowner, not some 18 year old) and couldn't imagine why anyone would. 🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>Do you iron sheets?<<
Thankfully, no, but my cleaner does (even more thankfully). 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

We have everything professionally cleaned (and ironed). It's not cheap, but without the equipment to wash and iron large items and large loads, it saves an enormous amount of work. And (most) guests know the difference.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Angie601 We have a laundry service that does iron the sheets, duvet and pillow cases. I personally worry that without ironing, a guest might think the sheets haven't been laundered.