Do your guests ever ask you to plan their trip prior to booking?

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Do your guests ever ask you to plan their trip prior to booking?

I have rarely if ever gotten questions from guests asking to plan their trip even after a booking has been made. Chicago is huge and relying on the host to plan a trip is simply silly. There’s so many online platforms designed for that.

Recently I’ve had several inquiries in a row with guests asked me to help them plan their trips prior to booking. Every time I have told them that I would  be happy to help once the reservation is made. None of them ended up booking.

Should I be putting more effort into this?

1 Best Answer
Normen0
Level 10
Canada

As someone pointed out, guests have access to your Guidebook although few know that it is there. I have a copy printed in my “Guest Guidebook” binder which also includes pamphlets and trail maps for visitor information, as well history articles from our  local newspaper. It also include guides to all things related to the apartment, heat, air conditioning, garbage, hot tub, wifi etc...

If someone asks me what to do in my city I send them a link to my Guidebook in Airbnb so it’s easy to find and I highlight three things that I think they may really like.   If they don’t choose to stay with us, I’m not offended.  I know we are one of the highest priced places in our area so money maybe it’s a factor and we are on their wish list but not attainable. I still enjoy being an ambassador for our City and AIRBNB. I’m sure it pays off in some ways. Having said that, I’m sure some of you in big cities have too many requests to be spending your time giving our free advice.  

View Best Answer in original post

45 Replies 45
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  What exactly do these folks mean by helping them plan their trip? They want you to give them a list of places they might want to visit while in Chicago, and create a daily schedule of activities for them? When they haven't even booked yet? Like you do trip planning for free?

Seems pretty bizarre to me. Yet another guest entitlement assumption? 

The only effort I'd say you should be putting into it is to create a saved message you can send these folks, politely getting the message across that while hosting involves many skill sets, free trip planner isn't one of them.

Of course, once they book, they'll have access to your guidebook, and as you are already mentioning, you'll be happy to give recommendations once you have confirmation they are actually going to be your guests.

I've had guests ask if it would be worthwhile for them to rent a car while here, or if I can recommend any particular surf schools (I can't, I'm not a surfer) but only after their booking was confirmed.

@Sarah977 saved message- brilliant idea. I might even throw a few tips in it. Although my listing description has a ton of neighborhood information.

And yes, they are asking for full on trip planning. The one today also asked for tips to navigate public transportation. You can write an essay about that! Here is a tip for you: take an Uber. I am kidding, I take public transportation all the time. If this were a small town with only a handful of attractions- I get it. Also, why would you want to be taking tips from a host you have never met, do not know that persons interests or age. One was asking for tips of things to do with an 11 year old girl. They have no idea if I have kids and would know this. 

I have gotten questions about local restaurants or very specific questions like we will have two hours between doing this and that, what would you recommend that's by your house. Those make sense. 

@Inna22 

I'd bet that every city worth seeing has many one day, three day, five to seven day itineraries available on-line to peruse.

I had a handful of lazy guest requests for me to advise them what to do, normally I'd deflect them off to these tourists guides to decide for themselves, then ask them to send me their trip planning back and I can mark their homework - as long as they have pre-booked though, to prevent overreach.

So if they say something impossible like ; 

Tues - Hermitage Museum, Alexander Nevsky Cathedral,  Tsarskoye Selo

I can tidy up things based on what's really practical based on insider knowledge.

Guests, in my experience,  appear to be unaware about the guidebook though.

@Elena87 I like the idea of telling them to send me the itinerary and me going over it (after they book of course)

I so wish I could go to all of those places you listed! Soon I hope

@Sarah977   @Inna22  Nobody has to book a stay to see a host's Guidebook. If you make one, it's a part of your public profile. But I'd say about 99% of guests are unaware of this feature, so it has to be pointed out to them.

I don't object to dispensing free advice when I have the time (obviously), but I stopped taking inquiries seriously years ago. When I got questions about navigation and tourist stuff, I'd usually just write a sentence or two focusing on what's specifically relevant to the Airbnb - and unless the guest was especially appealing, I'd use a tone that discouraged them from booking.

"The room is available for those dates. The nearest subway station is ____, xx blocks away. Best of luck with planning your trip."

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Inna22 I think guests who ask for free trip planning before even making a commitment with you is along the lines of the guest who asks for a million things or a big discount, or what have you. Rarely worth it in other words. Most inquiries never turn into bookings anyway. These ones with expectations of trip planning probably have just as high a likelihood of not booking even if you had assisted with their request.  

@Colleen253 yes, you are right- it is like they need to get more value out of this. If I am spending my money with her, she should be doing more for me

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  As far as getting tips from someone they've never met, I don't find that particularly strange. They are asking because as a local, you obviously know more about the area than they do. Which doesn't mean we know what sorts of things they'd be interested in at all, (some people love museums, others are bored to death by them) of course, but we at least have an idea of what's available. 

I am able to tell confirmed guests, for instance, if they ask about car rentals, that the town is easily walkable, that there are buses between the various towns around that run at least once an hour if not more often, that there can be issues with booking a car rental at the airport where those who have done so ahead of time get hit up with extra insurance fees beyond what they paid online when they booked it, and that there is a good car rental place in the town 20 minutes from here which doesn't try to scam anyone. 

But if they ask for surf school recommendations (there must be at least 20 in this tiny town) I can't help them out with that and just suggest they google surf schools in Sayulita and email a few and decide from there.

If you get a lot of these trip planning requests, maybe that's the universe telling you you should start a side business and charge for it 🙂

@Sarah977 by never met I meant that there could be total disconnect in interests particularly for a city that would take weeks to explore fully. If someone I know were to ask me or for example when I have friends in town, I can give them more specific recommendations. Otherwise I can not do more than forward a list of top attractions on trip advisor.

I would actually not mind doing this for money. I do love Chicago. I have a feeling these people would not pay 🙂

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Inna22 

I have created a largely informative Guidebook.  On my "Thank you for booking" message, I offer guests that I will provide recommendations if they have any questions.  As well, I give them specific instructions  where to access my Guidebook.   So far for this year, most guests, new to this area have thanked me for the offer and Guidebook info.

Just my way of hosting, offer to provide assistance. 

I spent about a decade+ in a retail business environment in the music business.   The best lesson that I learned was about customer service.  

Although I am now retired, I still to this day, and even more so, being a newish hosting, still keep my guests expectations in mind.

Just my life experience.😊

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Inna22  Did you ever see "Sherlock" with Benedict Cumberbatch where Mrs. Hudson kept saying "Not your housekeeper, dear"?  I always channel her and think "Not your travel agent" when I get questions like that.  I'm also tempted to give them the old "let-me-Google-that-for-you" rejoinder, but I restrain myself.

Because you're right - how would you know what they like to do?  It's like when people find out I work in publishing and ask me to tell them what books they should read.  How can I when I don't know what they like to read?

When someone asks what they should do, I tell them there's an extensive guidebook available upon booking (full disclosure - I know that's a lie lol).  That usually does the trick.  I gave the link to an inquirer the other day and to my surprise she booked.  Once they have the guidebook they can review places by category and start clicking around and see where everything is on a map and take it from there.

Although I wouldn't do more than that, Chicago is a lot more complicated than my area and I like @Elena87's idea of vetting plans for confirmed guests.  You have been a guide in Chicago and should definitely get paid for doing more!

@Ann72 lol at “let me Google that for you”. I’ve been sorely tempted at times too!  Digging your idea of guidebook as hook. 

@Colleen253  So tempting to send them the actual site:  https://lmgtfy.app

@Ann72 I forgot about the site! If I feel extra cheeky I just might send it to them.