Doubt about guests: several men inquiring to rent long term

Answered!
Isabelle1875
Level 1
Palma, Spain

Doubt about guests: several men inquiring to rent long term

Hello,

Has any one had this doubt?

I received messages from men apparently natives from China living in the US. The messages are similar to each other, all requesting long term stay (for a 10 guest house, they request the whole house for weeks or months, which is a LOT of money). They tend to have pictures of elegant, wealthy, handsome Asian men. What raised my doubt was that they gave me their personal number in the same way (splitting up the message with three numbers each for Airbnb not to bock the phone number). Not sure what to do about them. I do not want to be rude to potential guests but it seems a bit fishy to me...

Any advices?

Thank you from Mallorca,

Isabelle

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I just don't engage and report to Airbnb for trying to communicate outside the platform - clearly scammers @Isabelle1875 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

Follow your gut instinct! It’s there for a reason. No AMOUNT of money is worth feeling uneasy or uncomfortable about anything. You’re NOT being rude. You’re being cautious, and above all else, you’re protecting you safety and property. And with that being said, don’t do or interact with anyone outside of Airbnb platform. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I just don't engage and report to Airbnb for trying to communicate outside the platform - clearly scammers @Isabelle1875 

Thanks for that. I already contacted the Airbnb support center and they gave me great advice 🙂

curious what the scam might be here.  Are they trying to secure our phone numbers or is there a way if they lock up our house, they get something out of it?  One person asked me to take a video of my home and neighborhood?  Are they going to duplicate it and post on another site to scam our posting?    How are they taking advantage of us - even if we don't have a phone call.  I've gotten 4 of these requests over the past 2 weeks and they always want to talk...it's always for months and they talk about a generic stay "in my city" is their expression.  I'm eager to understand what they're trying to "get" here...