Dubious guest accounts

Anna1326
Level 2
Kirkland, WA

Dubious guest accounts

I've now received 2 somehow similar booking requests that are concerning. One from a new account without reviews, and one from an older account, with only 2 reviews from 2018 (both only say "great guest"). Both wanted to stay for 3+ months, messages are translated from Chinese. They don't state a reason for their travel, nor who they are traveling with - even though that's my requirement when booking. In the first instance, I canceled the booking because I didn't feel comfortable hosting them in my house for such a long time, only to have that person book again the next day with slightly modified dates. I spoke with Airbnb, and they canceled the 2nd booking for me and suggested I remove the instant booking option to avoid similar situations in the future. Yesterday I received an inquiry from a person named "G" (no photo, again conversation translated by Airbnb) trying to book for over 3 months again. I declined the request, just to receive another request from the same person, again with modified dates. What's the deal here? I'm curious what are they after?  Does anyone else have experience with similar situations? We never had to decline reservations before and this makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sounds like scammers @Anna1326  are you reporting these bookings/inquiries as they are made?

Yes, I have.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Anna1326 added to the likelihood of these being scammers have you researched the tenancy laws in Washington. In many States you will create a tenancy for stays longer than a month and Airbnb's lack of a contract/deposit could cause you no end of grief.

Sorry just seen it may be a house share. If so the above probably doesnt apply but the concept of hosting someone for more than a week in case you don't get on would apply for me!

Thanks for pointing this out, good reminder. We do usually sign a short-term rental agreement for longer stays. Landlords in WA, CA or OR are definitely not as protected as in other states, that's why I need to be ultra-sensitive to anything that smells fishy.  

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

We get these all the time, can't figure out what is the angle. I answer such nonsense 'inquiries' with one dot - (.), not to waste much time.