Exhausting Guest Communication

Answered!
Jean-Baptiste135
Level 2
Paris, France

Exhausting Guest Communication

Since I started out as a host, I’ve been developing my real estate. So consequently, I’ve seen the number of messages sent by guests dramatically increase. The thing is, I tend to receive always the same kind of questions and – for some strange reason – especially when I’m busy with other things... It reached a peak last summer, so much so that I was glad summer was coming to an end! It just was so exhausting.

So I’m curious, do you guys also receive loads of messages from your guests? How do you cope with it? Have you used auto-messages and/or an AI chatbot?

1 Best Answer

Hi @Paula,

I want to say how great it is to be able to get in touch with the community of hosts and feel supported by peers. This Community Center truly is a treasure trove. Thank you!

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Bonjour @Jean-Baptiste135 

I would say it depends on the type of questions you are being asked - are they questions once they have arrived on how things work in the apartment or places to visit, where to eat etc? If this is the case, a house manual in English and French is a great way for guests to obtain this type of information. I have a written copy but others use a digital version too.

If the messages concern questions on parking, transport questions, house rules, arrivals/departures, guides etc then the quick answers or programmed messages are your best friend😊 especially if you have many listings.

But difficult to say as you we don't know what kind of questions you are being asked.  The description on our listing should be as complete as possible too and commenting on the photos is a good idea - size of rooms, beds, what's included etc as some guests tend to look at the photos rather than read the detailed description😉

Some guests need more hand holding than others, that's true but personally I feel it's much better to get asked questions before or during their stay and deal with any issue then find out they were missing something in their public comment!

Bonne soirée

Joëlle

@Joelle43 The house manual, programmed messages, quick replies and photo captions are all very good ideas. Thanks so much for your help!

Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Jean-Baptiste135 ,

Anytime a question is asked more than twice, I automate it. There are three simple methods:

1. Printed House manual: Leave a detailed house manual and host recommendations at the property. Update it frequently. Whenever I receive a repeated question, I provide the answer in the book. It takes time to write it, but it's worth it. Mine is 22 pages long, and guests can find everything they need.

2. Use scheduled messages to proactively answer expected questions. For example, I have noticed that a day before check-out, guests often ask me about the check-out procedure (easier to ask me than to check the Airbnb website). So, I automated a message with instructions, and it works perfectly.

3. Use quick replies: Sometimes, there are items that are relevant only to certain guests, such as guests with pets. 

@Guy991 Those automation strategies all sound very relevant to me. They should help me optimize my time and effort. Thanks so much for your advice!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @Jean-Baptiste135, thank you for bringing this topic to the community.

Have you had the chance to read the suggestions from Guy and Joelle?

Please keep us updated.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Hi @Paula,

I want to say how great it is to be able to get in touch with the community of hosts and feel supported by peers. This Community Center truly is a treasure trove. Thank you!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

What a lovely message, @Jean-Baptiste135😊 I am so glad you are finding our community a constructive and supportive place 🙏

I hope to keep reading your contributions in our community.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad