False reviews

Kristina382
Level 2
BG, Serbia

False reviews

Hi I had several situations over the past 2 month where guests made  several different issues at my listings and after it leaving bad reviews that destroyed my ranking. 

First was a guest that booked for friends of his friend without letting me know they have just shown up and what happened is that they were late on check out refusing to leave place for more then hour and half after check out time. Airbnb has been contacted and also I have been in contact with a person that made reservation for them. In the end what happened he gave me bad review only because he taught I will give him bad review even I did not. I had his message confirming this and Airbnb refused to remove review. 
Second situation was I did a guests airport transfer that should be paid over Airbnb, guest ignored my request more than 10 days. After a involved Airbnb they have paid immediately but what happened the moment they have paid they left bad false review and Airbnb did nothing to remove it. 

Third situation was few days ago I had guest that booked for 2 and brought extra persons, he refused to pay for them, he refused that 3rd person leaves, he refused to leave my place even the reservation was canceled and airbnb several times informed him first what are his options for extra guests than that he needs to leave my place ASAP as also I, in the end one of top case managers called and told me because I was heading over there its their advice that I bring police with me. Also he false reported me that I have cameras in apartment that is proven its false. Also he threaten me while he was leaving that they will make a hell of my life. And in the end he left 1 rating written false reviews that I took their suitcases and I was throwing it out in hall yelling at them they have Corona virus because they were from China. And Airbnb even tho you can see what happened here left their review telling me that I can respond to it. 
But guests when search property they do not see reviews they see property rating. 

1 Reply 1
Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kristina382Unfortunately, once a review is posted, that's generally it, it's staying there. What you can do, if you want to, is reply to it, being professional, express disappointment at their breaking rules or whatever.

For the 3 situations, see if you can learn anything from them to prevent the same happening again:

1 - AirBnB allows fake names in bookings, and it could be a work booking or a gift, so you never really know if the person coming is the person whose name is on the booking - but one person's money is as good as anothers, and you're in business, right? So, take the booking, don't worry about the names, and make sure you have information in your property showing the checkout times and your expectations (leave the property clean and tidy etc). You could, if you want to, message the day before departure to let them know the cleaners will be there at checkout time. Sure, if the guest in the property is not the person who booked it, they won't get the message. But have cleaners turn up there at checkout time anyway. Sometimes people will be late checking out - it happens - don't stress - you've left enough time between checkout and the next guest checking in, so it shouldn't be a major issue. End result, nobody gets stressed, guest (hopefully) won't post a bad review. Sure you may be annoyed they are late checking out, but it happens. Don't show it, let it go, move on - the next guest brings more money.

2 - Always take payment at the time of providing a service. If there's a risk of non-payment, let someone else take that risk. You could always point them to a taxi company for the airport transfers. End result, you don't have to worry about non-payments, no stress, no bad reviews.

3 - I hear so many stories about "guest didn't pay for extra guests". If you have a property that sleeps 4 and you charge per-person, you are discounting. If you charge for the whole property, it won't matter if 2 or 3 turn up. End result, you get more money, you don't have to monitor everything, you don't get stressed if an extra comes, guest won't get annoyed and won't post bad review.

You might not agree with my solutions - you might get other solutions from other people. But, you're in business - make it easy on yourself. You won't stop some bad or unfair reviews and you can't change them once they're posted.