First review

First review

First I want to say we spent $330 on hiring a professional air duct cleaning company prior to this guests arrival. The air ducts are spotless. We also used an ozone generator, bought new furniture ect. I had several people over to inspect beforehand and I had great comments on it smelling fresh. 
my first stay said in the public review “Convenient location…nicely decorated quaint older home…I have a sensitive nose so the air freshener was a little strong for my liking. Seemed like there was a pet odor too but the location is listed as pet friendly so…sensitive nose. Appliances were new and worked well. Great communication”

He gave 3 stars but I feel discouraged and embarrassed. About the smell comment. We had one air freshener on in the entire house set to low and it was clearly visible in the kitchen he could have unplugged at any time. I also told him to contact with any questions, I left gift baskets and I even bought fresh flowers in vases. He never contacted or gave me a private review explaining any of this.
I had freshly washed everything brand new rugs even. I don’t understand the pet odor comment. Please advise on how to respond. And will this hurt me getting future guests.  

5 Replies 5
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

I wouldn’t even respond to the review. You got two good reviews since. This too shall pass. 

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I would describe myself also as someone who is sensitive to air quality.

First off, I wouldn't have used an ozone generator because it can leave a bad smell afterwards and is actually harmful to the human body.

Instead of air freshener which just masks the problem, use a good air purifier instead.

Other thing is, by pet odor, this means he smelled either a cat or dog I guess. Do you have pets? 

It can be hard to get rid of pet odour without an air purifier. 

I do not have any pets in the home but it is a pet friendly Airbnb. People do bring their pets. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Julianna56   Allow several hours of airing out after the use of the ozone generator (I love mine).  Don't add air fresheners.  Certain scents are objectionable and tend to linger.  It was nice to leave fresh flowers, but certain flowers are also heavily scented and can be earthy -- the water in the vase can also be a problem.

If possible, have your property cleaned and then closed up for a few days.  Check to see if you can discern any odors when re-entering the closed-up property.  What cleaning products are you using on your floors?  My housekeeper and I spent several weeks tracking down a smell that was present only after the house was closed up for a day or two -- it was the floor cleaning product that was creating a "musty, doggie" odor in my property.  Also check all of your water pipes -- a small drip under a sink onto wood can contribute.  

Thank you for your feedback!