For nature loving hosts and guests

Andrew2925
Level 2
Australian Capital Territory, Australia

For nature loving hosts and guests

Hi There, 

I'm wondering - for properties with large gardens or natural environments, would there be any value for nature-loving guests if they could easily see what wildlife exists on the property and/or in the greater area?

Maybe there’s a bird or type of butterfly or something they’d want to see?

We've been experimenting with some ideas for this.

For example, do you think a page something like this could be of any value (this is just a sample):

https://www.guardiansofearth.io/realms/1060/175

Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

If you’re interested, it's no problem for us to create a sample page for your property and try it out.

No cost. We're just interested in feedback, to see if there's a benefit here, because there might be a cool way to add value for guests/hosts while helping protect nature and biodiversity at the same time. Which would be a win for everyone! 

Thank you in advance! 

16 Replies 16
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

A most interesting idea. We do somewhat something like this with all our guests, in a different way. We have created different habitats for sea creatures around our island, there are now 14 'stations' (or micro environments) which tend to attract different sea species: lobsters, octopus, sharks (nurse), etc. and we provide colorful charts for identification. We have a cool board for guest to check those species they saw during their stay. It has become a fun feature, a separate game, especially when guests include children, they all want to make sure to see 'Pedro' a cool octopus that has become a local pet.

(P.S. We use common names (and scientific nomenclature), since few people know Lepidoptera are members of the order of Butterflies).

Andrew2925
Level 2

Hi Fred,

Stunning! This looks amazing. When can I come??? 😁

Really appreciate your response. 

Obviously I don't have access to the exact location of your property, but I've spun up a SAMPLE site on Placencia for you to have a look at:

https://www.guardiansofearth.io/realms/3129/175

I was astonished to see the amount of wildlife! It scored a 9 out of 10! So much wildlife in the area! 

I'd be very interested in your thoughts and ideas. Happy to take this conversation offline, 1-on-1, or keep it here, whichever you prefer. 

There will be no cost for you for this site (ever!). I really appreciate any feedback you can give. It's not meant as a business proposition.

The idea is to try to figure out if there's value here for hosts, for guests, and for nature too!

Thanks again for the time you're taking to work through this with me (and I'm quite serious about the desire to visit!) 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

On other forums you said you were developing this as a chargeable service for hosts and were coming to host forums to do some market research to test the concept.

Have you changed your mind @Andrew2925 

Andrew2925
Level 2

Hi Helen, 

Thanks for this.

Yes, I reached out to one other host forum to explore the concept - something called airhostsforum.com.

What I said there was - I don't know if the hosts think there's value in the idea, so I would be offering it for free for now. If it turns out that hosts want it, then at some point in the future we'll need to figure out how to support the concept financially (ie with payment).  

That forum, as you saw, seemed to struggle with the idea. (Maybe I didn't explain it well?). So I didn't receive much interest. 

This forum, however, seemed to immediately grasp the idea and expressed interest.

So having already received several requests from this forum for the free nature ("Realm") page, what I'm saying now is, I will provide up to 10 properties for free (forever).

Happy to include you Helen in the 10 free (forever) ones if you'd like. There's still room! All I'd ask for "payment" is honest feedback on the concept. 

Here's a page for your property:

https://www.guardiansofearth.io/realms/3150/278

Based on the feedback from the 10 hosts who want to participate, we will see where the value lies and what's a fair price structure for other hosts that will also cover the maintenance costs (it could be freemium and/or include early adopter discount, or something like that; ultimately I can't donate to 100 hosts for free. I will be homeless. 🙂 ). 

Does that make sense? 

Hope it's clear and reasonable.

Thanks again.

@Fred13 

I've spent several nature study trips in Belize, a wealth of beauty, fauna, flora. Underwater and on the ground! So glad you are doing what you are doing - so much to learn and share.

@Andrew2925 

Cool idea! 

We cater to birders, native plants people, mycological society folk, dark sky enthusiasts, weather watchers, off-grid curious, photographers, architecture buffs, wildlife lovers, hikers. We have 180 plus wilderness acres with a 360 view; and our front yard is tens of thousands of acres of wild lands. We have a dozen trail cams in the forested wilderness. In our listing we are very clear that this is a unique experience for our guests in a Frank Lloyd Wright school home. Design and architecture lovers make a bee line to visit us. We are so clear in our listing that we already have a lot in common with our guests.

Andrew2925
Level 2

How there, this sounds fantastic! Thanks for getting back to me. 

I had a look at the area, so beautiful, must be some amazing birds, butterflies and other insect life on the property. The kind of thing I love.   

Obviously I can't see the exact location, but what I've done is take a random 1km square sample from somewhere in the region.

In the sample I took, it only returned a couple sightings on the property itself (so it didn't score as high as it normally would), but have a look:

https://www.guardiansofearth.io/realms/3123/175

Would love to hear your feedback. Would your guests like a QR code to view the site? Is this something you'd even want to share with them?

I'm happy to try a more exact location if you'd like, perhaps with more sightings. (Note: It's also possible for you and/or your guests to add more sightings through one of the popular apps if you'd like). 

I will not charge anything for this, that's not the point. Rather I'm keen to figure out where there might be value for hosts with properties like yours, that attract eco-travellers, nature lovers etc. The idea here is to benefit the hosts, the guests, and the nature itself! 

Thanks again for your response. 

P.S. Happy to discuss 1-on-1, or keep it here, whichever you prefer. 

@Andrew2925 

We are members of the local Peregrine Audubon Society and have birders come from far away to see several species that happen to nest in our gardens! Such a thrill. We are on top of a transition zone with flora, fauna, geology, and so we have eg both Mountain Quail and California Quail. We have Oak & Madrone Woodland, Redwoods, Meadows, and Chaparral. At 3000' elevation we have wildflowers in a succession after the valleys are finished blooming. It is an exciting place to live and to visit.Our local birds species list is lengthy, and being rural and mountainous a lot of wildlife feel safe with us.  Also a very fun thing is happening, with the Great Redwood Trail that is being built through this area, a long trail and through varied habitat. Very exciting.  

Yes you can message me, **. I'd be happy to make the lists available to you.

**[Personal details removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Andrew2925
Level 2

Excellent, will contact you directly. Really appreciate all your feedback. Onward indeed! 

@Andrew2925 

Such a nice page you put up for us! And so very many species missing! We must talk !

@Andrew2925 

We've seen all the species you've listed in the photos, and more, however Bullfrog is not native and is deleterious to the native tree frogs. 

Andrew2925
Level 2

Thanks @Ann72 this is fantastic feedback!  

>>> prefer to see common names for the species

Great point. We'll go ahead and list the "Life of the Realm" species with common names. I think the "Be First to Find" shows common names, but we should add to "Life of the Realm" as well. 

>>> I'd also like to know if it's interactive - can guests tick off the sightings they had while visiting?

Yes. It accepts data from 7 different popular apps (including one we build ourselves called QuestaGame, but people can use CitSci.org, NatureSpots, eBird -- which may include MerlinID -- Observation Org, iNaturalist, MushroomObserver, and we're adding more as we go).  Why don't we add these 7 apps to the page so people can see? Will do that today. 

@Kitty-and-Creek0  - the above may answer your question as well?

As you've given such great feedback, happy to set up a free (forever) "realm" for you. 

@Andrew2925 

Thank you for the clarification. The digital world as well as the "real" one are constant works in progress. It is fun to be part of creating with you.

Of course we would accept a free (forever) Realm offer. I've traveled for nature and culture appreciation all over the world,  the last 55 years, and it is a joy to be able to educate about what is here at home. This can be a good tool. I had the privilege of learning from my father as a child, so it is ingrained! I've a huge library of field guides which my guests use, almost as much as we do. 

Imho, eBird,  iNaturalist, & Mushroom Observer, are important to include. We use them all, and as members of 4 mycological societies, Native Plants, ABC, Audubon, and so many other nature groups,  we love the successes of citizen science. 

Common names are inconsistent, and quite local, in many cases. It seems important to include them; however, we use the scientific names to avoid confusion. With edible medicinal plants and particularly fungi, it becomes even more important. 

I agree that a QR code is an easy way to access anything. This site could benefit. 

Onward!

Kitty

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I like this @Andrew2925!  As @Fred13 inferred, I'd prefer to see common names for the species and I think my guests would, too.  I'd also like to know if it's interactive - can guests tick off the sightings they had while visiting?

I use two or three apps for identifying flora and fauna - Merlin Bird ID for birds, Picture This for trees, wildflowers, and other plants, as well as insects and birds, and Star Walk for stars and constellations.

Bottom line it's a really nice idea.  My guests always tell me when they see wildlife on our hill in Maine.  Last summer there was a black bear family - a mother and three cubs - that everyone saw but me!  But I've seen bears as well as bobcat, fishers, coyotes, porcupines, possums, and deer.