Futz and hair on blanket, guest wants a discount

Answered!
Mary1211
Level 5
Somerville, MA

Futz and hair on blanket, guest wants a discount

My whole home yesterday let me know that there was hair and schmaltz on one of the computers, and wants a discount.

Pictures here http://imgur.com/gallery/wxVkVEm

they did send me pictures, not that I really care to argue with something like that anyway. And it does indeed look like there's hair and schmaltz on it. I don't know how my cleaners missed it.  that said, there are stacks of clean blankets in the guest bedroom closet that appointed them to

I asked them what they thought was fair for a discount, and they haven't given me a number yet.

So I thought I would see what other Airbnb hosts think is fair.  I do not charge for cleaning as a note.

it is technically a duvet cover, so I can just be removed, and I do do French shooting, which is say a mattress cover and a bottom sheet which technically is meant to protect you from the comforter, but they're right it does have hair and schmaltz on it.

1 Best Answer

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

That is a great statement......Would they be happy to sleep there in the hair and schmaltz for less money?

I have never had it happen but, my feeling is people who ask for discounts are scammers. This one may be genuine  @Mary1211  but it is a growing trend. There is a certain class of 'guest' who carries around a supply of bedbugs which they will introduce on the final day of a week long stay and claim a full refund....and get it!

Offering discounts for supposed issues is the thin end of the wedge and gets the guest to thinking they might be onto a good perk! Many Airbnb users are only here because they are after a better deal than the hotel industry offers and if they can exploit that further, I think many of them would.

Apolgise profusely, offer them a special offer for another future stay where you will personally guarantee the cleanliness and attention to detail and leave it at that.

Keep in the message stream that you offered to put things right but the guest refused  your offer and if they lodge a complaint with Airbnb you can state you don't like being subject to extortion!

Cheers......Rob

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Mary1211  I assume you mean comforter not computer. Schmaltz (also spelled schmalz or shmalz) is rendered (clarified) chicken or goose fat... that's a funny thing to find on a comforter. (Or a computer.) 🙂 Anyway depending on the price of the listing I'd probably offer 50% of one night and a big fat apology.

And yes my apologies for the typos, I was voice to texting in the rain. it is acurrent issue with a current looking so I was curious to get an answer as fast as possible.

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Mary1211If you were there when the guest told you about the issue, you could just replace the duvet with a clean one. Just imagine that you stay in a hotel and find the sheet is not clean, do you expect the hotel to give you a discount? More likely the hotel will just replace your sheet with a clean one. If the guest still insists on a discount, you may give and then mention it in your review. If I see a guest with such a review, I will not accept the booking request.

yeah, that's exactly what I expected hotel would do, were I to complain about something dirty. Just come up and give me a new one slash replace it. I would not expect a discount or a perk or anything like that.

Mary1211
Level 5
Somerville, MA

It's a whole home listing, there are two beds, they didn't have anything else to complain about.

50% is pretty steep, it would be around $150, which seems like a lot of money for a dirty blanket.

again I f***** up, but if I were at a hotel and had something like this happen I would just expect them to come by and change the bedding, I wouldn't expect any discounts or perks or anything.

I did offer to come over and change things myself, they also did not specify how much they expect it when I asked.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Mary1211 yes I wouldn't offer $150.  Probably $50.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mary1211  i don't know that I'd ever ask a guest, in a case like this, what they expected to receive as a discount. When they asked for a discount, I'd just say, yes, of course, and then send them $50, with profuse apologies and maybe bring over a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates. 

It would be good to have an extra duvet cover around, if you don't already, so it could be quickly changed out if necessary.

The problem with missed cleaning issues, especially the bed, is that when a guest encounters that, it makes them feel the whole place wasn't adequately cleaned, which may not be true at all, but I can understand how it could prompt a general disatisfaction. Maybe your cleaner should have whatever you refund, or at least a portion of it deducted from her pay, to ensure she's more vigilant next time? That's a pretty important thing to miss when cleaning.

@Mary1211    I would do as  @Sarah977   suggests re: money and chocs.,  if they want an insane amount offer to call Airbnb and find them somewhere else to stay.  You need to figure out if they will stop at this complaint or push it to the max  and then Airbnb refunds all their money after they have stayed full term and you end up with nothing.  Make sure you do all this in your message board,  even if you talk to them in person reiterate it in your message.

btw: I would ask your cleaner first. I once looked after someone's Airbnb and guest blamed the cleaner. I knew it was false,  I had checked everything after she left,  when I said I would call the cleaner they backed down but were a pain to the finish. Not saying your guests are scamming - but it does happen.

Marie21
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Mary1211 i rarely offer discount for any issue as i think he gives bad habit to guests who already get a very good price for a start, but what i always offer an exchange or replacement, i many cases i have 1 cleaner i could ask to pop in and change the linen or myself will pop in to do the change but i rarely give discount.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Mary1211 

Being responsible and admitting responsibility would be two different things. I wouldn't admit responsibility (or any liability) but I would go and check with the intention of changing the cover.

"Be glad they found it before using it and have a word with the cleaners"

Asking for a discount sounds rather presumptious. Would they be happy to sleep there in the hair and schmaltz for less money? Also, whilst there ask if theres anything else not up to standard? 🙂

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

That is a great statement......Would they be happy to sleep there in the hair and schmaltz for less money?

I have never had it happen but, my feeling is people who ask for discounts are scammers. This one may be genuine  @Mary1211  but it is a growing trend. There is a certain class of 'guest' who carries around a supply of bedbugs which they will introduce on the final day of a week long stay and claim a full refund....and get it!

Offering discounts for supposed issues is the thin end of the wedge and gets the guest to thinking they might be onto a good perk! Many Airbnb users are only here because they are after a better deal than the hotel industry offers and if they can exploit that further, I think many of them would.

Apolgise profusely, offer them a special offer for another future stay where you will personally guarantee the cleanliness and attention to detail and leave it at that.

Keep in the message stream that you offered to put things right but the guest refused  your offer and if they lodge a complaint with Airbnb you can state you don't like being subject to extortion!

Cheers......Rob

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Mary1211  it feels slightly opportunistic of your guests to have immediately sought a discount.  A remedy, yes, but a remedy and a discount seems excessive.  Remedy being fresh linen and blankets.  As @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  says, to ask for a discount implies they are happy to sleep in fuzz filled bed linen if they pay less money.....

I think @Sarah977  has the right approach, it's about setting their minds at rest that this isn't how you operate and the whole house hasn't been overlooked, cleaning wise.  Clean bedding, a personal touch like chocolates, and a small token $ amount should be sufficient.  If they ask for more, then I'd start being suspicious myself...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

It's true, the idea that you immediately should get a discount in an Airbnb because something might be amiss is bizarre. If an airline has a delay, sitting on the tarmac for half an hour longer than it was scheduled to, does everyone on the flight then get offered a discount? If you find that your supposedly clean fork in a restaurant has dried food stuck to it, does the management give you a free meal, or do they just say, oh, so sorry, and bring you a clean fork?

I can see where a discount is in order if a promised amenity was on the blink, such as advertising a hot tub (which many people would book for that amenity alone) that broke down and was unusable during the guests' stay, or the hot water heater died and couldn't be replaced right away and the guest had to have cold showers for 2 days, but it seems like guests now have the idea that any little thing, even if it's immediately correctable,  is deserving of a discount.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Mary1211 @Sarah977 @ Lisa (no tag) @Ben551 

It is more difficult, but if some kind of compensation was necessary I think any non-$ gift would be a better alternative to a discount after changing the cover.

Chocolate, flowers, discount voucher, free pass, some experience... maybe some local friend who can provide some experience? (Somerville, MA - boat trip?) Mentioning $150 - I'd take them out, feed me and them, have a laugh and benefit from a better review. Giving $$'s admits a liability and doesn't deter a negative review.

@Ange2 Message record and check with cleaner - good call!