Great 5 star listing has been empty 5 months now

Kevin210
Level 2
Piney Flats, TN

Great 5 star listing has been empty 5 months now

My very nice clean apartment has gone from booked solid for 7 years to sitting empty for 5 months now,   Im in a city that is extremely popular for people moving here and Cant give the apartment away    reduced rent from $ 2000 per month to $ 1400 and nobody is renting it , All inclusive and fully furnished.

14 Replies 14
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Kevin210 ,

I couldn't help but notice the first line of the description, which announces new HVAC from 2019 and a mattress from 2021. 

We are talking about a couple of years ago.
Look at the surrounding properties.
Over the years, things have evolved and changed.
You should consider refreshing your property. Give it a facelift and rewrite the description to compete effectively with the properties around you.

please read the linked guide. I hope you will find it helpful:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Guides/6-Tips-to-quot-jump-start-quot-or-quot-spring-c...

Thanks   - Pictures are very recent and are in my opinion 90% of the rental popularity.   It is very odd that its been rented 8 yrs straight faster than I can even clean it and now that its in pristine condition and new rugs last month new pics on the walls and clean in every way 0 Its sitting empty .   The city location needs to be changed to Johnson City or Gray tn but it is literally in between the two cities and 500 feet on either side in location .   Ectremely popular area in between the 2  ,  Johnson City is in the top 5 or 10 most moved to cities in the entire country and is another thing that is weird as every place you look is slammed full and mines vacant ?   

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Kevin210  But it's not a 5 star listing. Your rating is not great right now- it's 4.67. You have a very minimal description that fails to mention that the apartment is in a self-storage area. Your pictures and description are definitely lacking. Your decor is very basic and not all that appealing. 

If I were searching in your area, I'd choose a listing with a better rating, description and ambiance. 

Perhaps you can switch to long-term renting not on the AirBnB platform. Also, you have minimal reviews, so it must have been "booked solid for 7 years" on another platform.

Air B is the only place its been rented , And I would certainly be very pleased with a 4.67   Thats A +    and it is a corporate style executive apartment and has been rented solid for 7 years .    People moving to this area and it being in a 4 $ million dollar facility and being the only apartment has been a huge plus to renting , Not a negative in any way.??

@Kevin210  Sorry, but 4.67 is not considered all that good. It's definitely not A+. You're neither a Superhost or a Guest Favorite. 

AirBnB wants hosts to compete to  the have the highest ratings. Superhost used to require a 4.8 minimum, but that standard seems to have been lowered when they introduced Guest Favorite. Guests search for listings based on those standards. 

Again, if I'm looking for an AirBnB in your area, I'm going to look for a higher rating, along with either Superhost or Guest Favorite designation. 

It also does not look like a corporate style executive apartment. Those are generally much, much nicer. 

You're acting so surprised that your property isn't being rented, and I'm telling you the reasons why it isn't being rented. If you want to rent on AirBnB, you should probably make some changes, or if not, try Furnished Finders or perhaps traveling nurses. 

Gosh your right   - In this area I am way too cheap   - Seeing places $ 7600 per month 

In this market demand is thru the roof  - My place is in the top 10% of anything I'm seeing  under $3000 per month  - I guess i need to raise it way back up.   

Kevin, seems as though many people are giving you candid feedback and you're just pushing back. If you were truly obsessed with "perfection" as your profiles states, perhaps step back a bit and consider that there may be some truth to the comments you're receiving. Best of luck. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Airbnb sees 4.53rating as low @Kevin210  and can and does temporarily and permanently suspend hosts with these type of ratings

. It's certainly not A+ it's probably leading to you not showing up highly in the rankings .

You've been marked down for for cleanliness, communications and value - all things within your gift to improve.

how can you be booked for seven years solid when you've only got twelve reviews? Did you delete a previous listing for the property because of poor reviews /ratings? 

@Kevin210 Being in a $4m facility may sound great to you but as a potential guest I see it is on the top floor of a self storage warehouse!

Yep no steps and its been renting fabulously  ever since I built it for people moving to Johnson City and not sure where they are going to live - Reviews are off the chart good - As I said im showing 11   5 star reviews since it started renting 

@Kevin210 This is bizarre - You posted that you have been empty for 5 months and then keep responding that its been renting fabulously ever since you built it. One or other of these cannot be true.

Yes   - ABB has been the only place ive ever listed it  last seven years  -  $ 2080 per month was the rate,  Last 4 out of 11 reviews are all 5 star excellent reply,   Currently I have added several pictures on the walls, Brand new rugs ,  Tv added on the wall, Added You Tube tv and it looks better than it ever has   - Pics are less than a few months old.     It is in a drive up upper level of a very nice climate controlled self storage facility , 3 acres fenced and gated ,  Very quiet upper level.    Then in November it went vacant with my best review ever at $ 2080 per month , I found out that ABB is charging a HUGE extra fee and the $ 2080 with fee and tax had it at near $ 3000 per month 

That in my mind is likely the reason its not renting ,  That is also what I hear on the streets from multiple owners,   Not had even a single inquiry since Nov 7 yrs prior it was rented before it was even cleaned ...   It looks better now than it ever has photos etc      It has been a awesome place also for people moving here which are many  - and dont want to buy immediately or sign a long lease until they get settled .    THe area is undergoing for several yrs now never before seen growth but yet I get nothing now??   I have lowered the rent down hundreds of dollars and still nothing 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I only see 12 reviews, where are the other years of reviews?  It also doesn't seem like the 12 reviews showing should equal to only a 4.6, but maybe.  It might be some kind of Airbnb glitch since as far as I can tell since their last two 'updates' the site is a mess now

@Mark116 It seems accurate. There are 2 x 4* and 1 x 3* reviews in the mix.