Guest asking for compensation

Guest asking for compensation

Hello Airbnb Community

As a relatively new host, I've encountered some challenges with my property during the current guest's stay. Firstly, there was an issue with the heating, which I identified by myself remotely via the thermostat app and promptly addressed by reaching out to my maintenance team and also informed them. The engineer attended the next morning at 8 am to fix it. Subsequently, the guest reported a sink leak, and although I wasn't initially aware, I've taken immediate action, asking them to use a bowl to catch the water until it's fixed. Later that day, the guest reported a bathroom leak and requested compensation. The maintenance team has already addressed the kitchen leak, heating, and hot water issues this morning. The bathroom fix is scheduled for tomorrow when the necessary supplies become available although the guest would be checking out tomorrow before the bathroom is fixed. Although there are two more bathrooms in the property.

Considering the circumstances, I'm concerned about a potential negative review. What would be an appropriate compensation for the guest in this situation? I want to ensure their satisfaction and address any inconveniences.

Appreciate your insights,

3 Replies 3
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Damola12, I hope everything is going well.

Although you posted a few days ago and the guest has probably already checked out, I am tagging a few Hosts here to ask for their advice in this situation: @Natalie1262@Marisa182@Alicia753 and @James3814 

All the best,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Marisa182
Level 7
University Park, MD

@Damola12 

Hello, I hope all the issues have been resolved by now. That does seem like an unusual number of mishaps happening all during one guest's stay. If all the claims are legitimate, I would seriously consider refunding between 50 to 75 per cent to your guest. It sounds as if you were quick to respond to each problem, and it's possible that the guest appreciated that and will not leave a bad review, but a large refund might make a a big difference. Take care and happy hosting!

Hi @Damola12 

I hope you're doing well, As a fellow Airbnb host, I understand the challenges that can arise when unexpected issues occur during a guest's stay. 

In terms of the potential negative review, it's important to remember that guests generally appreciate transparency and responsiveness from hosts. Since you've already taken action to address the issues, it would be helpful to communicate this to the guest. Apologize for the inconveniences they've experienced and assure them that you've done everything possible to rectify the situation.

When it comes to compensation, it's best to evaluate the impact of the issues on the guest's overall experience. If the problems significantly affected their stay and caused major inconveniences, offering a partial refund or a discount on their reservation could be a thoughtful gesture. 

Ultimately, the compensation should be fair and reasonable. Accidents happen, and what matters most is how you handle them and communicate with your guests. 

Good luck and I hope everything will be okay 🙂

James