Guest asks to cancel after first night, claiming it's too noisy

Answered!
Michael1103
Level 2
New York, NY

Guest asks to cancel after first night, claiming it's too noisy

Well I feel very disappointed to have my first unhappy guest! She called me this afternoon after her first night in the apartment asking to cancel and refund the reservation. I have a 'strict' reservation policy on my bookings. 

She claims that there was noisy construction at 8am in the apartment below mine. Yes there has been a renovation on the unit below, however I was told all the heavy work was complete and just painting was to be done. So I'm surprised it was loud. It seems they worked on the radiator and the sound carried up into my apartment above. 

I told the guest I was very sorry about the noise, and that I hence contacted the building management and additionally went and spoke to the workers directly to ensure no heavy work would be done before noon if at all. I also stopped by the apartment and left a flower arrangement for my guests as a small gesture to say sorry for the unexpected inconvenience. 

She called me again just now and spoke to me for about 30 minutes insisting that I refund them because they did not trust there will be no noise tomorrow. I again apologised for the noise but insisted that it was unexpected. I've been in the apartment immediately before their arrival and did not experience any loud noise myself the entire week prior. So I was disappointed that it had disturbed them. I also insisted that I have taken action and was told there would be no noise tomorrow.

She continued to persist in wanting a refund, then mentioned (1) that she also didn't like to walk up the stairs to the apartment and (2) that only two of the four windows open for fresh air and (3) She said her and her companions laughed that I brought them flowers - and insisted it was not going to compensate them for being woken up at 8am.  

On point 1: My apartment listing clearly states "Apt. is on 2nd floor (two flights up)", I explained that to her and pointed out that walk-ups are common in New York however, other elevator apartment buildings in NYC are available at often higher prices or less desirable locations.

On point 2: I explained to her that the photos clearly showed the Air Conditioning unit in the window and that during the summer,  window AC units are very common in NYC apartments. I highlighted she may also set the unit to 'fan mode' which circulates outside air without the AC.

On point 3: I agreed leaving flowers was a small way to say I'm sorry for the inconvenience, however the construction was unexpected and out of my hands. I also did not have an opportunity to address the issue - if she had called me at 8am I would have come to the apartment and spoke to the workers immediately so they stop the heavy (loud) work. I also offered to stop by tomorrow morning at 8am to ensure there would be no noise. 

It started to become clear to me, she was searching for any argument to say I had been disingenuous as a host in order to get a free cancellation. 

What is reasonable for me as a host, should I enforce the strict cancelation policy? Does one morning of unexpected noise at 8am justify her desire to cancel? I've responded immediately and don't expect noise tomorrow but I also feel she's trying to justify getting a free cancellation for a non-genuine breach. 

I've had 5 guest reviews, and all have been 5 stars to date - she's already threatened to write a 'horrible' review... 

1 Best Answer
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Let this one go.  She has a life time experience being complainer. She knows how to get under people's skin - You are just today's meal.

Let Airbnb decide how much money she will get back.  

Let her cancel and leave.

It is what I would want.

No money is worth this stress.

Theere are MILLION nice guests out there.

Don't let her bother you. She will write you a bad review, but usually people can tell when a guest is being mean.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

8:00 is hardly the butt crack of dawn... I'd let her write her review.  (I acknowledge that it's easier for me as I've a larger number of reviews to soften the blow and wouldn't really affect my average.)

Be sure to write her a message noting all of these "issues"  and your suggested methods of remedy through Airbnb message service.  You need documentation - not just a he said / she said over the phone.  

Thanks so much for the advice, I've responded via AirBnB messenger to summize our phone conversation. That was a helpful tip! 

Too bad about her promise to give a scathing review! 😞 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Let this one go.  She has a life time experience being complainer. She knows how to get under people's skin - You are just today's meal.

Let Airbnb decide how much money she will get back.  

Let her cancel and leave.

It is what I would want.

No money is worth this stress.

Theere are MILLION nice guests out there.

Don't let her bother you. She will write you a bad review, but usually people can tell when a guest is being mean.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Do yourself a favor - listen to @Paul0, in my view, his reasoning and wisdom are always on the mark. File this one as a likely hustler.

The 2nd thing I would do, find out when and for how long this potential noise WILL, in all likelihood, occur so that you have an idea as to how to prepare future guests for this potential 'inconvenience'; never use the word 'problem', meaning make light of it.

You did everything graciously, so that will bode well for you with 99% of future guests. That is indeed the good news.

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

I totally feel ya. I'm dealing with the same thing with a guest who cancelled their four night reservation this afternoon after only one night, except they're claiming that the suite is filthy & dusty (I thoroughly clean after each guest, including dusting all surface).

I'm still not sure how I'm going to handle it. They're asking for a full refund, but I'm leaning towards making a counteroffer of a refund for the nights they didn't stay.

Eventually you'll start to get a gut feeling from people by the tone of their messages, and the types of questions they ask. I'm certainly kicking myself for not going with my gut feeling on this one. Best long-term advice I have is to not worry about it too much. Their review will be buried under a pile of great reviews in no time.  

Steve
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Michael1103  If a guest is not used to a big city general noise, you might consider offering ear plugs to all guests.  I live in a town in the Southern Californian desert and it is super quiet here.  When I visit my daughter in San Francisco, there is always more noise.

Your listing title has "quiet" in it which might be misleading as what is quiet for you might not be quiet to a traveler.  Just a thought.

Also, you have two automated cancellation reviews.  Not good to have any host cancellations, but if you explain the reason for the cancellation, it will not be as bad.  If you cancelled these bookings because a guest wanted you to do so, a common new host mistake, contact Air BNB to get these deleted and the host penalties reversed.

Here is a guide for contacting Air BNB

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Good catch @Linda108, on the of the word 'quiet'; in 5 seconds it could be taken out of the description till construction ends.

Thanks for all the advice! 

You've provided some great perspective, my 'manhattan quiet' apartment is a key selling point for the location, but probably not the same 'quiet' as some guests might expect if they're not familiar with NYC... and they may not realize just how loud a street facing apartment can be! I'll have a think on how to balance that out.

The guest threatened only over the phone to leave a bad review, and was definitely in the context of asking for a refund of her first night. I bent over backward here and offered a refund of 50% of night one which I thought was generous, her response: "If you can live with yourself and that offer, then fine" ... hah what a piece of work this one is! 

If she wants to leave the apartment today - I agree it's a small loss in the grand scheme. Honestly, I would expect her to find smaller accomodation at close to double the price in a local hotel, so all things balance out in the end. 

@Michael1103  I am pleased that you found the host feedback helpful.  That's what this forum is all about.  Hope you will particpate as well.

One thought about noise.  People who are from a large city will go to  a city like New York to enjoy the energy which does come with noise.  You can promote the energy and excitement of being in a convenient location.  Mention noise and offer ear plugs 😄

Should you get a negative review, keep your response professional, short and sweet.  Your audience for the response is not the guest but is for future guests. Don't mention a refund in your response.  Mention the refund in her review though.  Other hosts need to see her MO.

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Michael1103 make sure you have proof of her threat to leave you a bad review in the Airbnb system because that is an extortion and it is against Airbnb policy.