Guest communication

Answered!

Guest communication

Hello, good morning;

I have a couple of questions. 
we have our first guests booked next weekend. We would like to know their ages for a welcome gift, we were thinking to have a bottle of wine. Does Airbnb ask the guests for their age or should I ask?

Also, a guest requested I add an email to the communication but I have not been able to figure out how to add one on this site. Can you please assist? Thank you so much for your time.

1 Best Answer
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Shamil12  Don't add an email to the site (and it's likely not possible.) AirBnB discourages off-platform communication, and will actually block any email address or website you try to share. Keeping communication on the platform protects both you and your guests. If you ever have issues, you'll understand how and why. 

As to the gift, I've gotten really wary of alcohol in general. It's so easy to offend these days, and I hate the thought that I might leave a bottle of wine for someone in AA, or with similar issues. But....they have to be over a certain age to book on this site, so I wouldn't ask, even if you decide to leave wine. Depending on your property and their profile, the below may apply:

Guests between 18 and 24 can create their own personal Airbnb account. In a few, specific countries (Canada, US, UK, France, Spain), guests under the age of 25 are restricted from booking an entire home if they live locally and don't have at least 3 positive reviews with 0 negative reviews.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

We always ask them for their age if we suspect it is a special occasion, in those instances we make them a cake, bottle of wine, etc. whatever is apropos.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Shamil12 I wouldn't necessarily ask for age but rather something like 'please could you advise four welcome gift of a bottle of wine would be appropriate to your age and dietary requirements'

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Shamil12  Don't add an email to the site (and it's likely not possible.) AirBnB discourages off-platform communication, and will actually block any email address or website you try to share. Keeping communication on the platform protects both you and your guests. If you ever have issues, you'll understand how and why. 

As to the gift, I've gotten really wary of alcohol in general. It's so easy to offend these days, and I hate the thought that I might leave a bottle of wine for someone in AA, or with similar issues. But....they have to be over a certain age to book on this site, so I wouldn't ask, even if you decide to leave wine. Depending on your property and their profile, the below may apply:

Guests between 18 and 24 can create their own personal Airbnb account. In a few, specific countries (Canada, US, UK, France, Spain), guests under the age of 25 are restricted from booking an entire home if they live locally and don't have at least 3 positive reviews with 0 negative reviews.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Shamil12 

For the email option, you can turn on Airbnb Professional Hosting tools, which will give you an “Email Guest” link on the same page as the “Message” button. “Email Guest” uses email aliases to send emails back-and-forth, i.e. neither you nor the guest has their real email addresses exposed.

Ian192
Level 2
Troisdorf, Germany

Although I have a large cocktail bar, I never give guests alcohol on first meeting but simply make coffee or tea and ask about their journey, about them, find out what they're going to need if international guests.

It's my "make a friend 30 minutes"

First impression is te most important.

(Never ask a guest their age unless they volunteer it or you suspect they are minors)