Guest doesn't clean after himself, ignores the house rules

Mark4673
Level 2
Tbilisi, Georgia

Guest doesn't clean after himself, ignores the house rules

Is it possible to shorten the stay of a guest if he's not following the house rules?

I've told him to clean after himself, sent house rules in chat not even mentioning they're stated in property description and put signs in the house but he still seems hesitant. I don't have cleaning fee included in the price of booking. This is my 2nd hosting experience and I feel confused about this situation

Please share your experience
6 Replies 6
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Mark4673 I think part of the problem is the bed is not in a private area ,and it seems you expect the guest to pack up his sleeping area every day so you also can use the sitting room. It would be a good idea to provide some type of screen and to use a separate sofa. It is not really a good look . Charging a cleaning fee may be a better idea , at least it will make you more understanding... H

I'm sorry to say that but your comment seems out of touch. I use a separate bedroom while my guests stay in a living room so please don't claim misleading information about my listing.

The whole room is given to the guest and not used by anyone else during their stay, I don't expect them to make their bed, they are free to do whatever they want as long as they don't stain or break anything. 

My issue is that the guest doesn't clean the common areas after themselves

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you have reinforced your house rules around this both in person and Airbnb and they continue to leave the communal areas in a dirty state then yes you can ask Airbnb to cancel the booking for you @Mark4673 

Abi010
Level 5
England, United Kingdom

Hi Helen , I noticed your advice to@ Mark4673, I am facing the same issue with my current guests,  my question is can it be cancelled without penalty  to the host?

I am really at my tetters

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It depends is the answer I am afraid. @Abi010 

As you haven't said why you don't want your guests to continue to stay it's hard to comment.

Have you familiarised yourself with the Airbnb Help website? If not it's a great resource.

Your answer is here https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2894

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You have ~1~ review and it mentions the odd logistics (and lack of privacy as a result) of the living room being 'private' overnight, but need become 'common' during the day by the guest doing some chores, or conflict will arise. This should tell you something.