Guest harassing Host - help!

Answered!
Polly164
Level 4
Geelong, Australia

Guest harassing Host - help!

A recent guest and I had a disagreement over their booking. As part of this the guest broke 6 of the 8 AirBnB ground rules. This has been reported to Support. 

Since the original disagreement the guests have been submitting multiple false reports against me and even threatened to refuse to leave right up to the checkout time. It is part of a campaign for reimbursement above the refund they’ve already received for the agreed reduction in booking time (at my expense). 

AirBnB Support are now investigating these false complaints, because they constitute harassment, and a breach of multiple AirBnB policies, not to mention anti-harassment law. 

They are still in town though and are now driving by my house late at night to further harass me. I have also reported this to AirBnB, but they have not yet responded. 

I have reported the drive-bys to police, as I have a photo of their car that I can match to the car at checkout. I have also informed my neighbours in the close-knit street as a courtesy and to let me know if they see anything too. 

Is there anything else I can do now? 
How can I protect my safety in the future when I live in my listing?

Have you experienced anything similar?

Does AirBnB Policy need to improve when it comes to guests harassing hosts? I feel like Support should have better advised me in the beginning and intervened sooner. It didn’t need to get to this. 

Sincerely

Tired Host 

1 Best Answer

@Polly164. Highly visible external cameras can be a great deterrent, as well as a doorbell camera. If you cant afford real ones, start with fakes.

And forget Airbnb for any further help. As you have found, great neighbours and local police are your best help.

The harrasser is relying on upsetting you: dont give into that, defend your home and move on as you clearly have very happy guests.

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Jennifer4240
Level 1
Branchport, NY

How terrifying! What is wrong with people???

@Polly164. Highly visible external cameras can be a great deterrent, as well as a doorbell camera. If you cant afford real ones, start with fakes.

And forget Airbnb for any further help. As you have found, great neighbours and local police are your best help.

The harrasser is relying on upsetting you: dont give into that, defend your home and move on as you clearly have very happy guests.

This is incredibly helpful Frances. Thank you so much. 

You are right that they aim to upset me. You are right that neighbours and support outside ABB are what's best. I am so clear on my Listing details, but the guests intended to bring extra people at no cost from the beginning, and they're just annoyed that I live here (like I say I do). Why do this to live-in Hosts though? My mind boggles. 

I've sent a full report to ABB, so at least it is on record. I'm seeking advice from legal advocates on the small business helpline in my country. And I'll submit a professional report against one of their false claims as soon as I have this. 

I've also just blocked out my calendar for a month because this is meant to be enjoyable Hosting guests, not distressing. I am honestly considering suspending my account though. I don't feel safe on this system anymore.

@Polly164. Polly, you are very welcome.Its good you are taking a break to clear from the mind games people play. I have two of my listings on LTR at moment so its good to mix it up sometimes.

I'm from NSW and we have pretty good police and resources here, as evidenced by last weekend's tragic event. Not sure what Airbnb has apart from a tech booking platform.

The events in NSW are so awful. They’re also a good reminder to really take notice of your senses that something is not quite right, and to pay extra attention. I was nervous about this booking before they arrived because they were not responding to my requests for information and were asking odd questions about my house. I am just so glad I called AirBnB support on the day of check-in to report their first breaches of House Rules. That way it is on record. So is my (naive) taking of advice from AirBnB Support, which I wish I had not followed now and that I had cancelled. At least now I know how to do this though, and I’ve withdrawn a number of services, like early luggage drop-off, to prevent any pre-booking arrivals and accusations of property damage. 

Hi Frances, Tired Host et Al,

I just finished hosting another very hostile guest. In the last 10 years plus of being a hostess, there had been only a handful of bad apples that were out to destroy people's lives and business.  The first incidence almost destroyed me mentally.  I could not eat or sleep for weeks trying to rush against time to gather enouogh evidences to defend myself against nasty, false reports to Airbnb.  Luckily, I have video camera to show the truths and my side of story.  However, with the newly updated airbnb rules against hosts from having any kind of video cameras inside the house, I wonder how we can protect ourselves from thieves stealing our things while lying, fabricating and accusing good Host/ess for going into their rooms and through their things, or that there are spider webs even when the house is kept spotlessly with bi weekly professional cleaners or that they are victims of racism against Asians: hated,  prejudiced and discriminated! The last accusation was outrageous because I am also a small Asian myself! How can I be prejudiced against my own race!!! So I am not sure what to do from here on without the help of our video camera bearing witness to Guests' harassment!   

I’m so sorry you went through this. I have so far lost a week of work and had to seek counselling and so I completely understand the psychological impact. It’s awful when it’s your home. 

I suggest reading up on your rights locally too. I now know that I am protected under fee-for-service contract law, I know the number of the local police station (for last resort), I know the numbers and names of my neighbours, and some helplines outside of AirBnB who can also provide advice. Reach out, connect yourself with community and other support, whatever that is. 

Also importantly: hostile guests will ‘try it on’. Often they’re bluffing. My recent guests ran through a literal shopping list of claims until one stuck. Half were ludicrous and I just didn’t engage but repeated the house rule. Others I took my own photos as evidence. I took a video of me checking the bed after they left, for example. I brought in the help of neighbours and my cleaner as witnesses. 

See through their bluffs, don’t engage just repeat house rules, record everything you’ve done, and bring in witnesses where appropriate. 

Also: get all information and fees upfront. If they won’t pay the fee for an extra service before they arrive then you know they may be dishonest guests.