Guest home address, phone and vehicle info required by local law

Liane514
Level 2
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

Guest home address, phone and vehicle info required by local law

Local law requires that I have a daily guest Register with each guest’s home address, phone number, vehicle make, lic plate and which province or state it is registered in if they are driving. Where and when can I ask guests for this info? Would I put this in the Instant Book message? Thank you!

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You definitely should alert the guest about any local requirements and in these times, you should add it so it is actually seen.  In your welcome message you could reiterate what is needed.  However, you might run into system limitations for the information to be sent through the system.  You could provide a sign in sheet at check in so you can capture the information much like a hotel does. If you do not greet guests, you will have to find a way to manage this information gathering since it is a local regulation and you are held responsible.  Perhaps other hosts have figured out how to do this.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Liane514 I would put it in your listing rules that you require this information at or before check-in. Depending on the local law I guess you might have to say that people not supplying this info will not be allowed to stay.  That way people will have no reason not to give it to you.

What penalty is there in the local law if you do not comply?

Others will no doubt speak up if there is an Airbnb rule against asking for this info.

Liane514
Level 2
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

It is a $300 fine if I do not have this info.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Liane514,

I would display the contact requirement as one of the photos for the listing, and state in the photo tag that local law requires this information, and guests must provide it to receive check-in details.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Debra300and @Mike-And-Jane0  I think the issue is that certain information will be blocked by the system.  If I recall correctly, phone numbers and addresses are blocked.  @Liane514 needs a way to collect this information at the time of check in, old school with a check in form.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Linda108,

After guests book a reservation, they can send personal email, address, and phone numbers without it being obfuscated by Airbnb's message service.  Submission of contact information would occur after booking, but would be a requirement in order to receive the check-in details.  

Two days ago, a guest gave me her personal email so I could send her an attachment that she said she couldn't read on Airbnb.

@Liane514@Mike-And-Jane0 

You can ask your guest to send each and every details when they are free. And you should keep them all of them information into your diary or a notebook. And for the car details a single can help you a lot. If you want know about a license plate vin lookup visit here source vinpit.com/license-plate-lookup and enjoy for service for free. Have a very good day!