Guest maligns host to bypass cancellation fees

Guest maligns host to bypass cancellation fees

I’m new. My listing is destroyed by a guest who cancelled and outright lied  . Overnight my rating fell from 5 stars to 4. No more bookings. Cancellation policy is strict if she did but lied she won’t be refunded.

Day of check in she maligned me , left and cancelled. She told me  “will you refund it or I’ll dispute with Airbnb”  I replied she needs to get the refund from Airbnb. 

So she lied about smelly smells in alley, puke everywhere, mildew smell, rancid smell, fridge(brand new), complained that f even stray cats. 

I sent pics to support. 

Despite these Airbnb refunded her full so thereafter she  harassed me with “ha ha” “shame on you”  I had to block her so she left me a 1 star review 

She even  labelled my neighbor a bum homeless 

I informed Airbnb they did not help 

No consequences to guest whether lying to bypass strict cancellation policy nor false review 

22 Replies 22
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Rene2450  Simply put, you need to keep in mind a few things that may serve you well in hosting in the future.

1. Never write a defensive 'War & Peace' length response like you did with any guest. Makes the host come across potentially 'combative'. Dismiss such 'lunatic' reviews in short order, but even better do not even get into such a host-guest combat situation in the first place by taking this approach >

2. When a guest arrives with an attitude that one's place is not for them, for whatever reason, it may simply be a situation that to go any further you are then trying to force a square peg into a round hole - it is not going to work. Accept it and move on, you were better off not hosting these people, cut your losses and if the deal (there usually one) is they be refunded and everyone goes their merit way (quietly) is oftentimes the best outcome. Fair or unfair is beside the point. Of course, for your benefit, do consider the why they feel that way and maybe, just maybe it has some merit.

Good luck.

Thank you Fred. I had no issue with her wanting to leave or canceling. That wasn't what this is about. She demanded full refund money from me direct. She said "will you refund it or I'll dispute this to airbnb "

Because she figured had she gone to airbnb she will be subject to strict cancelation policy fees.

I considered the "why"  I investigated the puke smell homeless fridge she complained about found nothing.  

She wanted refund monies  direct from me on the spot to which I have to say no she needs to contact airbnb. If I had replied sure I'll pay you, and she gets another refund from airbnb that would be ideal for her. 

Not getting money from me led to harassment led to false /retaliation review 

I get what you mean about not engaging.  If it were you would you have paid her outside of airbnb to make a guest go away ?  Hosts weren't supposed to do that 

"If it were you would you have paid her outside of Airbnb to make a guest go away?. Hosts weren't supposed to do that "

We are talking about two different points on the timeline. I won't even have let her stay in the first place. Why? Because it will in all likelihood lead to your experience. Hosts are not suppose to be subjected to - "Day of check in she maligned me". She won't have even gotten to the refrigerator to even smell it. I am not worried about Airbnb's stand, they will support us.

We are talking 1 point in timeline, she obviously changed her plans last minute she didn't need to stay so she went to the listing on the day of her check-in just to find everything wrong with it,  from "alleys" to "stray cats" , wild lies about  everything outlandish  "smelly smells" to blame Host in order to bypass  strict no refunds cancelation policy. 

After her so called check-in and before she contacted airbnb, she contacted  Host with these lies that don't even make sense,  said price is too high, to demand Host pay her directly refund monies or else. 

That's what happened 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rene2450 The likelihood is that this is a revenge review for not refunding so you should continue to request it be removed.

Sadly your response to the review is way too long and will not help you get future bookings.

Perhaps copy the listing and then shut down the original? The reviews will stay on your account but at least the listing will start again.

True.  Thank you 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Rene2450 

I just wanted to confirm that my colleague @Bhumika has elevated your concerns within Airbnb to get some assistance for you.  Have you heard from the team yet?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you for yoir kibd reply Jenny. Airbnb will not remove her false review how is this ok that hosts are supposed to continue hosting with outright outlandish lies  on their profile no matter how well they do