Guest manipulation

Answered!
Giorgio481
Level 2
Palo Alto, CA

Guest manipulation

I would like to ask for advice or shared experiences. I'm currently hosting a guest who has stayed for two nights out of a planned 4-night stay. He requested to alter his reservation and shorten his stay by one night. I advised him to cancel through his account, as there would only be a partial refund because he is changing his travel plans. I even offered to accommodate his request for a later check-out time.

A few hours later, closer to midnight, he reported an alleged issue with spiders present everywhere and dust under the bed. He provided pictures showing spiders and webs, which I have never had issues with before. Honestly, I suspect that he brought them in from outside somehow. He also provided a picture of dust under the bed. Unfortunately, he was able to escalate the issue to Airbnb resolution before I could address it directly, and that was my mistake.

Can anyone share their experience regarding what might happen with my Superhost status and listing? I did contact Airbnb directly and politely expressed my suspicion that the guest may be manipulating the situation due to the declined trip modification.

1 Best Answer
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Giorgio481 

Take a look at this: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Guides/How-do-you-handle-a-frivolous-refund-claim/td-p...

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
LaWanna0
Level 2
Chicago, IL

@Giorgio481 The only way that it with impact your Superhost status is by the guest leaving a one to a 3-star review.  If he does not review it should have no impact.   If he does review you should attempt to have it removed because it could be retaliatory.   

Heidi803
Level 4
West Sacramento, CA

please advise as to how this shakes out.

these “non” issue issues send a chill down my spine.

Tatiana392
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

Sorry you are going through this issue. I had an issue with a similar issue with a past guest. However, it was a long term reservation so the policy is a bit different. They checked in and then 5 days later I get a message stating the rental was dirty and it smelled bad. They were also claiming issues with their allergies because of dust. I responded back that we had never experienced any cleanliness issues and to please give me about 2 hours to see what I could do. Next thing they do is alter the reservation. Before accepting the modification I reached out to Airbnb support to ensure my payout would not be affected. The guest then opens a case with Airbnb support and submitted picture of their dirty socks as evidence of the dirty floors. It was a long process about 5 days Airbnb kept contacting me wanting me to give the refund. I kept stating our policy and explained that the tenant did not communicate any issues until 5 days after check in. I would have sent the cleaners back out to the property. The guest did not even allow for me to remedy the alleged issue and if it was an issue it should have been addressed upon check in not 5 days later.

At the end Airbnb support told me the claim would be documented in my internal record. In short, It did not affect my superhost status but I did not submit a review of the guest in fear that they would submit a negative review and it would end up affecting me. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Giorgio481 It is a good idea to remind the guest that any refund will not be automatic and to let them leave. Cheerio and Good luck and Bon voyage. Send a variation reducing the days by one. Do not refund and simply tell them Airbnb will deal with any refund. There may or may not be one . Even if you have been paid  already do not refund, but also you do not want someone at your home who wants to leave. Let them go ... H

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Giorgio481 

Take a look at this: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Guides/How-do-you-handle-a-frivolous-refund-claim/td-p...

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Giorgio481 ,

Did you have a chance to look at the suggestions from our members? Ricardo has also shared a guide created by one of our experienced members Robin. I hope it helps navigate you through this situation.

Do keep us posted if there are any updates on this situation since you posted.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines