Guest purposefully left behind items to “improve” our home and now wants them back

Michael-and-Abi0
Level 2
New Franklin, OH

Guest purposefully left behind items to “improve” our home and now wants them back

Hello! We’re relatively new to Airbnb and I recently had a guest who strongly disliked our place and left behind items which they bought during their stay and they felt would improve our place.  These are not items I want. The guest did not tell me they were leaving these things behind or ask for them back initially but has multiple times asked for money back because they “improved” our home. They said they would leave me a bad review unless I credited them for the items. I refused to credit them and got the bad review and I’m fine with that. And now days later they are asking me for a time when the house is unoccupied so they can come back and retrieve these items. These items are large (multiple foam mattress toppers) and I don’t want them but Im a little concerned about letting this guest back on my property considering the amount of attempted manipulation. Help? 

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can ask Airbnb to remove the review @Michael-and-Abi0 

If you want to return the items meet them at the listing at a time that suits you. 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Yes, or just leave the items outside.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Michael-and-Abi0  I would tell them if they want their items back they have to first call Airbnb to remove their review and rating.

Then, when they do that, I would take their things and put them in front of the house for them to pick them up.

I would never let them back in and would block them so they can't book my place again

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Michael-and-Abi0 how truly odd. Why would anyone do such a thing? This isn't a landlord situation where if you cut the grass you can take a bit off the rent....bizarre behavior.

Kyle476
Level 3
Poland, OH

@Michael-and-Abi0  that’s a bit over the top. I would say if they want them back they can pay for your time, and gas to get to the post office and for any shipping charges. I wound call Airbnb that’s almost like a form of libel, as in they play you out to look like a thief. Also, a red flag they live close enough to just come right over, and pick up the items… I’d be curious to know are they local hosts in your area trying to sabotage your listing. When someone has left something behind of value I usually mail it, and they pay me for postage via the resolution center if they want the item. This entire situation sounds fishy, and I would at least try to get the review removed. Furthermore, them asking for money like that you don’t even know if the items were new… they could have got them at a garage sale, or brought them from home, and when a guest asks for money in situations such as this they have to follow the proper procedure  outlined by Airbnb, and provide proof such as receipt’s so I would definitely fight the review. 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

they've breached the rules by extorting you, i'd hope you can have that removed. Complaining about something that is clearly in the listing description is also "unhelpful" so another reason to have it removed. 

this one poor review is dragging you down, i'd try to have it removed. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michael-and-Abi0 

I thought I'd heard it all by now, but this is a new one to me. What weird behaviour.

I do hope you have the guest's threat of a bad review in writing, preferably in the Airbnb message thread? Even if not, I would still contact Airbnb CS and explain the situation, i.e. that the guest tried to extort you for money with the threat of a bad review.

You can also ask for their advice as to what to do with the mattress toppers etc. I wouldn't be happy with these guests coming back and would want nothing more to do with them. Seeing as they have already carried out the threat of a bad review, there is no need to appease them further.