Guest refusing to return master key

Answered!
Velma11
Level 2
Amarillo, TX

Guest refusing to return master key

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I have a digital key pad that I have codes changed after each guest. During memorial weekend I was out of town and had a guest that asked if they could leave belongings in before check in. I obliged. This was @12 pm (check in 4) long story short I had to clear codes bc they kept returning interrupting cleaning lady and my lock wouldn’t change code. I had to leave a master key. On day 2 I returned re programmed the lock and for 9 days they have refused to return the key despite the lock fully functioning claiming it is a safety issue. (Which they have not used a key they’ve entered with code) I feel it is a safety issue for future gusts and very strange they have refused to return the key. I want to add that these people are local and rented it for their daughter. Might I add I have never had to give out the master key. I asked 3 times nicely and air bnb support has done nothing. She flat out told them they won’t return the key until check out. 

1 Best Answer

@Velma11. It sounds like your guests now have heightened security anxiety (justified or not). I would not have involved Airbnb during their stay on this incident (easy to say in hindsight I know but I have learnt this the hard way).

But yes, I would replace the master (I am the super careful type of host so key changes are a necessity imo. However are you sure that you cant just replace the barrel part for less cost?

Re the lock itself I assume it is a smart lock that can handle multiple codes at the same time frame but that it just got "jammed" . When this happens if you leave it a while it usually clears. Till then I always have a "spare" code (preloaded in app) with unlimited access for emergencies. When no longer needed I can cancel and create another one. If it cant handle multiple codes being used then you need a better lock.

However goes without saying never, ever give out the physical master key to a guest.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would go to the listing and say you either need they key returned or you will need to ask Airbnb to cancel the booking @Velma11 the guests are being ridiculous.

I did call air BNB to step in and per usual they didn't do anything.  I told them to inform the guest that if they are refusing to return the master key they need to inform them that there will be a fee for changing out the lock because I feel it is a safety issue for my future guests.  The guest told them they would return it when they leave because it was a safety thing for them? She also yelled at me saying I guess I don't believe she has a disability because she can't be in the heat if the door doesn't work.  I informed her that I am 5 minutes away but left out the fact that she could stay in her air conditioned car or even go to her house until I resolved it.  Do you think it is unreasonable to have the locks changed out?  They aren't cheap the one cot me $275.00 and start a case? 

@Velma11 if they give the key back at check out what difference does it make  compared to giving it back now?

@Velma11. It sounds like your guests now have heightened security anxiety (justified or not). I would not have involved Airbnb during their stay on this incident (easy to say in hindsight I know but I have learnt this the hard way).

But yes, I would replace the master (I am the super careful type of host so key changes are a necessity imo. However are you sure that you cant just replace the barrel part for less cost?

Re the lock itself I assume it is a smart lock that can handle multiple codes at the same time frame but that it just got "jammed" . When this happens if you leave it a while it usually clears. Till then I always have a "spare" code (preloaded in app) with unlimited access for emergencies. When no longer needed I can cancel and create another one. If it cant handle multiple codes being used then you need a better lock.

However goes without saying never, ever give out the physical master key to a guest.

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Velma11 , I would have the lock re-keyed. Any locksmith could do this. You could then keep the same door handle and keyed doorknob/lock entry  in place without having to replace the whole set. Local locksmith (in my area) run around $80.00 to $100.00. 

Hopefully, you can get this issue resolved to your satisfaction.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Velma11 ,

Hope other members' advice has helped you!

Is there any progress with this situation since you posted?

When is the checkout date of this guest?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines