Guest requests for less than minimum night stay

Answered!

Guest requests for less than minimum night stay

We are relatively new to hosting and I’m looking for some diplomatic advice on how to address a situation. It is nothing dire or particularly bad. I have a guest booked in April over a weekend and due to an unforeseen family situation, has asked if she could either add a day or modify her booking to 1 night (we currently have a 2 nt minimum). We are booked before and after her stay and told her that unfortunately, I am not able to accommodate 1 night on a weekend. She responded that she wanted to hold onto the reservation “for now” in hopes that we get a cancellation for that day before. That is totally within her right however, to head off having her cancel at the last minute, since we do have a flexible cxl policy, is there any thoughts on what, if anything we could say? Should I reach out to her in a few weeks about her plans or recommend another Airbnb in our area that has the dates she is looking for or just wait and see? Thank you!

1 Best Answer
Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

When someone starts asking for multiple exceptions to your policies, it's usually better to encourage them to cancel.  Or, if it's low season, you need the booking, and you're pretty sure not to rent to someone else, make a clear exception to your policy.

I would let her know that "holding the dates" is harmful to you, and that your flexible cancellation policy is a courtesy to help guests deal with true last minute emergencies.  It shouldn't be used as a backstop so they can book someplace else later.

I would absolutely check back periodically to ensure her trip is still on.  This lets the guest know they are dealing with a physical person, not a booking service or a machine, and that her cancellation is not indifferent to you.  She'll probably cancel, and you want that to happen sooner than later so you can find someone else.

Why not offer her a one night stay for almost the same price as the two night stay, or only a very small discount.

Good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

If you are not willing (able you can) to forgo your 2-day minimum (allowing only 1 day in this case) and because of your policy, in all likelihood you will end up loosing 2 days if she finds another place that can accommodate her. Perhaps take a chance, honor 1 day and hope her needs change. Or encourage her to cancel now so you can find someone else.

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

When someone starts asking for multiple exceptions to your policies, it's usually better to encourage them to cancel.  Or, if it's low season, you need the booking, and you're pretty sure not to rent to someone else, make a clear exception to your policy.

I would let her know that "holding the dates" is harmful to you, and that your flexible cancellation policy is a courtesy to help guests deal with true last minute emergencies.  It shouldn't be used as a backstop so they can book someplace else later.

I would absolutely check back periodically to ensure her trip is still on.  This lets the guest know they are dealing with a physical person, not a booking service or a machine, and that her cancellation is not indifferent to you.  She'll probably cancel, and you want that to happen sooner than later so you can find someone else.

Why not offer her a one night stay for almost the same price as the two night stay, or only a very small discount.

Good luck!

Thank you Susan for your thoughtful response! This is not a slow time for us and it is a weekend, so I would rather that she cancel and try to rebook it. How would you diplomatically word your response to encourage her to cancel sooner rather than later?

Thanks again!