Guest wants full refund and lied

Andrea5194
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

Guest wants full refund and lied

I've hosted for about 6 months and I have a family that showed up having added a guest last minute that increased the rate by a little bit because after 6 guests I do increase the rate for the wear and tear. I had mentioned that I wanted them to let me know if they were uncomfortable for some reason let me know right away if they felt they needed other accommodations. His wife said no, they would keep them. When they showed up they called me very upset saying they didn't like our place that everything was messy that the construction around was dangerous none of which is true. We have just had people stay and leave 5 star reviews as recently as the prior reservations. It is beautiful there. We are right on the beach and while there is construction around some of the towers I made that very clear in my listing.  The husband said "you told my wife she could have a full refund so we want to full refund. " I certainly did not say that and I see that they came in rather entitled and demanding. He told me they have friends with houses here we can stay at. We don't need to stay here.  Long story short they couldn't get in they put in the wrong code and then called abb and told them that I kicked them out and that they couldn't get their belogings so they are going to ask for a full refund. Holiday week I cannot rebook right now and they've left me $5000 short. What would you do? I don't know how to go forward with abb ABB has  a complaint from them to which I said nope that's not true. I wrote to the guest on the platform and said it's my understanding that you tried to get in and had a problem with your passcode can I help you? No response although she did read it. They haven't canceled the reservation yet, but went to security and came back, removed their belongings and left. They simply didn't like it. They saw our construction manager on the balcony for a moment when they arrived (I found out) although I also found out they were doing a last minute inspection. I had warned the guest who had pressed me for early check in that a last punch list item was being finished. I allowed them in at 2:40 instead of 4pm. Awful. We break our backs to make our place wonderful.  What should I do??

5 Replies 5
Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I'm sorry this happened. Something similar just happened to me an hour ago. You are certainly within your rights to refuse the cancellation.

This is how I evaluated my own situation. Yes, I'm losing $1150 from the booking that just got canceled, but forcing the people who lied about my property to go through with the stay would be so much more stressful. I really don't want people who are hostile  to stay there. So I canceled. But you will be losing five times as much, so it's a more difficult decision. 

It sounds like you already tried to reach a compromise? All you can do about their complaints to CS is to provide them with proof like the logs of the lock that they put in the wrong code. 

If they already left, you can hold onto your guns and refuse the cancelation. At the end there will be a negative review either way. Remember, customer support may overrule you and give them the refund anyway! Hosts are at a disadvantage like that. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Andrea5194 If they have not cancelled then they are lying to you again about talking to Airbnb. Let airbnb know that the guests have 'walked ' because they 'are staying with friends nearby'. Check your cancellation policy and let Airbnb check the messaging . Its always wise to have all discussion on messaging up to duplicating messages by other means.Tell airbnbthat the guests came back and took all their belongings and ask airbnb to open your calendar as quickly as possible .you should have some money from the cancellation and maybe be able to make up some money if you get a booking ... Good luck .. H

@Helen744 thank you--they did cancel later that night. I've tried to rent again--nothing so far. ABB hasn't been clear about anything the guest is submitting. I've co tacted them numerous times daily--apparently the guest is sending pictures (airbnb told me they didn't know what the pictures were for yet) and so far it's like pulling teeth to get someone to call me. They write at 1am EST and ask about a time to call, then never call when I give them the entire next day. It really makes me want to move everything to VRBO. I have no idea what to expect. I do know that these people were complaining about anything they could find, went in to the condo, left to call me I suppose, then went back up and couldn't get in,told airbnb I "kicked them out" after they told me they were leaving to go to a friend's house in Destin. They went and got the security guard. Went back up, entered the wrong code, went and got the correct (original code) I gave them, got in, got their things and left. Cancelled 4 hours later at 9pm EST. When they were belligerent on the phone  I told them to contact me through the app. They never did. I write  that I saw they were having trouble getting in and could I help them? Crickets. I had sent them the code to enter early, before check in time as they pushed me to get in early, btw. I am just waiting for airbnb to say extenuating circumstances as I imagine they will look up and find a way to get their money back. They made claims of "unsafe" which wasn't true either.  One of the most expensive weeks of the year and it is sitting open.

@Andrea5194 I think guests like this do push us more and more to take a pic of the house before guests enter. ' Not safe ' seems to be the new excuse I will say . 'Not as advertised' used to be the 'go to ' or 'not clean ' but the guests are now required to leave in order to have a refund , but unless they can 'prove' some breach of the rules then they will not receive a refund outside your policy. So stick to your guns and do not give any uneccessary refunds. .. H

Andrea if you still have the time put your daily rate up for the next few days. you may be able to recoup something . Good luck.. H