Guests breaks a window and blames neighbors children 2 houses away!

Christina1460
Level 2
Point Clear, AL

Guests breaks a window and blames neighbors children 2 houses away!

My guests calls to let me know they found a broken window with a rock lodged between the 2 window panes. He says his children aren't "baseball players" and couldn't throw a rock that high.(the home is on piers) He then proceeds to accuse the children hunting Easter eggs 2 HOMES AWAY for throwing the rock because they are a gay couple, he is an attorney and a judge and he is sensitive about those issues.   I told him that no one cares if they are LGBTQ or purple martians! It doesn't matter! No one in that neighborhood is throwing a rock at anyone's window!

I have cameras outside and noticed him and his daughter hitting a ball with a large paddle...usually played on the beach. A rock hit with a paddle will go A LOT farther than throwing it. I do not have her on camera hitting the rock with the paddle, but it makes perfect sense to me that is what happened. 

Do I go through Airbnb resolution or do I call and confront this overly sensitive attorney/judge to see if he'll admit it and pay for the damages? It seems as though going through Airbnb's resolution center isn't what's best for the host. Any advice?

Tina Powers
Water & Wood Properties -a boutique vacation rental company
owner/manager
www.waterandwoodproperties.com
Fairhope, AL
3 Replies 3

@Christina1460 

A broken window is a huge hassle, even without the guest avoiding any possible  responsibility. My best suggestion is to contact your business insurance, keeping in mind what is your deductible amount. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Christina1460 If you do not know for sure that the guest broke the window your claim will likely fail and you will just get a bad review. I would review the guest honestly and just replace the window glass myself.

That is what concerns me...I have no physical proof and I would be accusing his child of doing it when I'm just assuming she did it.

Thank you for your advice.

Tina Powers
Water & Wood Properties -a boutique vacation rental company
owner/manager
www.waterandwoodproperties.com
Fairhope, AL