Guests changing numbers of people staying

Guests changing numbers of people staying

Hi all out there. I have a guest that booked for 4 people. I can take up to 8 people but have one price for 1-6 people and then extra for the 7th and 8th person (due to size of 4th bedroom) I did message saying it would be more and now that I have told him the extra cost he is annoyed at the price saying he booked a villa for 8 - well he booked a villa that can hold 8 but as he did not put in 8 people he got the price for up to 6 people. Any advice on how to deal with this, or just have to suck it up? He said he has never had this before on Airbnb (but maybe he has always booked the right amount of people before) DO other hosts state in their listing that there is a price difference?

10 Replies 10
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Jacs5 

Take a look at this: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2894?locale=en

"...

Follow the Host's standard house rules 

• Approved guests: Guests should respect the approved number of guests and should ask their Host if they're unsure about the rules for visitors. Disruptive gatherings are always prohibited. Learn more in our Community Disturbance Policy.

..."

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jacs5 I would consider changing to 2 listings. 1 with 3 bedrooms and 1 with 4. As it stands, booking for 4 people he has every right to use all 4 bedrooms anyway. If you are new and need good reviews I would let this one go (but I am being cowardly)

I have 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and I detail in the booking what will be unlocked (and therefore available) based on booking size (paying guests).  It still doesn't solve everything as people don't read the details

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

Send guest an alteration request and ask them to pay extra guest fees. i have this done all the time. 

If guest refuses to pay more fees, you can escalate this to Airbnb, Airbnb will implement the extra guest fees alterations for you. 

I found out the hard way from AirBNB support that it's frowned on for the host to send through the booking change requests (although easier) and that's even true when you're trying to offer a custom discount!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I have this in my notes:

">> Reservations: It is important that the reservation is indeed accurate as to the number of guests actually coming ~before~ arrival since it helps us plan for your stay that much better. The island's capacity is six (6); 8 depending on group composition."

I check what is the number of guests coming before their arrival, to eliminate a hassle when they show up.

Arlene1277
Level 1
Canberra, Australia

I find it's a chronic problem

Even when I tell people to ensure they book for the right number of guests, many don't 

For some, it's a genuine mistake, and for others, it appears to be a well-planned and practiced strategy to try and guilt hosts into providing lower cost accomodation.  

I've started offering an extra discount in my listings for people who get the right number of people first go etc

Helps to spell it out, so when they show up with the wrong amount, they can't deny they weren't warned. I hear you though, the guts of the hustler types is simply amazing.

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Jacs5  Charging guests on a sliding scale will always be gamed.  It's best to just charge for your capacity, or as another poster said make two listings one with up to 6 and one with 8.  

Karen
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I do not charge per person precisely because I do not want to deal with the situation ladies. I believe it averages out overtime. Some groups are smaller, some groups are bigger. I also want to make a certain amount of money for my properties, so I’m not necessarily willing to give profit anyway just because somebody has fewer people in their group. I would like to make what I would like to make per night.