Guests didn't show up on arrival day, showed up next day and left as they didn't see on the listing that backyard is shared

Pallavi25
Level 2
Fort McMurray, Canada

Guests didn't show up on arrival day, showed up next day and left as they didn't see on the listing that backyard is shared

The guests booked a 28 nights stay, didn't show up on the check in day, scheduled 4 times their arrival times and didn’t show up. I was waiting for them until 2 am. They finally showed up 4 pm on night 2. They did a walk through of the listing with me, they didn’t like the fact that it’s a shared backyard and told us to cancel the reservation on their behalf. It’s clearly advertised in the listing that backyard is shared. Also, they wanted to host big dinners and the listing clearly states, no events/parties/visitors. They didn't stay and left. After calling airbnb, I found out that the guests have already informed airbnb that they left the accommodations and do not want to stay here but haven't cancelled the reservation yet. The calendar for this 28 nights stay has been booked and blocked since 3 weeks for this guest. I have been loosing all the reservations for this period. What shall I do in this matter? This is my first time experiencing this.

Thank you!

10 Replies 10
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Pallavi25 a 28 day stay is different to a shorter stay Palliavi. Do not cancel or refund . I think that this guest must be told to cancel and then if you can re book any of the days then you will be able to refund part of their stay. Or simply wait it out.Ask them to check the policy they signed up for and restate that all of the information that they required was on the website for them to see before they booked.Also let them know that Airbnb have a non party policy ,as stated also before they booked.These people changed their minds for reasons of their own and left you in the lurch. You are not their travel insurance . Suggest to them that they might need to be in touch with their travel insurance provider ,if that is Airbnb or another company. Also ask them if they do not wish to stay then why did they not cancel either in time to receive a refund or now.   H

Thanks! I have already brought this up with airbnb and they have the resolution team member working on it. So I guess they will reach out to the guest for it?

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Pallavi25,

After you have contacted the Airbnb Support Team, the typical first step is for them to reach out to the guest and clarify the situation.

Please keep us posted of any updates on how the situation is progressing.

Paula

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Pallavi25
Level 2
Fort McMurray, Canada

Airbnb did cancel on guests behalf after the 3rd night. Now the guest is requesting full refund through airbnb system, the cancellation policy is non-refundable and airbnb will not be refunding the service fee and taxes. What have other hosts done in this situation? I need to respond - accept, give partial refund or decline. So far, I don't even know if I will get any nights booked for their original stay as we are in middle of their original booking.

@Pallavi25  Decline, of course.

That's why we have cancelation policies.

Airbnb did cancel on guests behalf after the 3rd night. Now the guest is requesting full refund through airbnb system, the cancellation policy is non-refundable and airbnb will not be refunding the service fee and taxes. What have other hosts done in this situation? I need to respond - accept, give partial refund or decline. So far, I don't even know if I will get any nights booked for their original stay as we are in middle of their original booking.

@Pallavi25 I would offer to refund whatever proportion of the money I had received based on rebooked nights relative to originally booked nights. So if you manage to rebook 50% of the nights then they would get 50% of what you have been paid back.

Thanks! I don't know how many nights will be rebooked as we are still on 14th night on their 28 nights stay. They have already sent me a request through airbnb for full refund and I need to respond in 72 hours.

@Pallavi25 just reject the refund request and explain that you will refund if you manage to rebook but only based on what you get from Airbnb.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Best to let Airbnb handle it now that they are involved.