Guests leaving things behind!

Answered!

Guests leaving things behind!

Hello,

how do you hosts handle different guests seemingly repetitively leaving behind items? I have shipped things ranging from a pair of stiletto heels, to a cell phone charger with cord.  I don't ask the guest for shipping, but the last two back-to-back guests have left behind items and I have had to ship them back.  Is this typical? We are new hosts.

granted it is only $10-$20 for Shipping charges so far for each time, but it seems to be pretty constant for us now. We don't have a high level of profit, so the trips to the UPS and the additional shipping charges, although not the end of the world, are eating into our small profit.

what are your guys/gals thoughts?

thanks!

1 Best Answer
Tom794
Level 3
Palo Alto, CA

Guests leaving stuff behind is really painful and costs not just money, but also the time and hassle to post the item back to them. So what I do now is add to my Check-out rules a comment for Guests to double check to ensure they have all their belongs. However if they do realize they have left something of value behind, then they must contact me ASAP. Next I have the next line that states we are not responsible for any items left behind, but if they are left behind, there is no guarantee we can get it back to them, however if it is possible, I state we charge a $20 handling fee, plus the postage and any other costs involved in getting the item back to them. Now my Check-out rules are in my user manual and I've also printed them out, put them in a picture frame, and hung this picture frame next to the front door. And guess what? ... No items left behind for a few months now 🙂 I know this may seem a little strict, but it's such a drain on time to post items back and now with this strategy in place, seems to be working well!

View Best Answer in original post

49 Replies 49

@Tori2  I can't see how they have a leg to stand on. They checked out, right? And then told you they left a wallet? That's not called theft. If I leave something on an airline seat, disembark, and only later discover I'm missing that item, I can't sue the airline for it, it was my inattention that was to blame.

I hope you have written message documentation of the guests saying they left it behind. It's important to keep anything contentious on the Airbnb messaging system, not phone calls.

@Sarah977  Yes. They went off the platform and called and texted me. I never got their calls - but I did get the texts... I need to save them!

They have now served me in small claims court - for their lost wallet. sigh...

which I don't have... ugh

@Tori2  If a guest texts or phones you about a potentially contentious issue, make sure to move it to the platform in the future. 

Just text back that you only communicate with guests via Airbnb messaging, and to look for a response from you there. Then reiterate what they said in the text in the message.

"Hi XX,  So you texted me about a wallet you think you left behind, but we've searched high and low, the place has been thoroughly cleaned, and it's obviously not here. You must have dropped it somewhere after you left, maybe it got wedged in a vehicle seat. Hope whoever finds it returns it. And of course if it does surface in some odd place, I'll be sure to let you know right way."

I took a taxi once and realized I didn't have my wallet after he drove away. I called the taxi company but no driver had reported it. 3 weeks later a driver called me, said he'd just done a major cleaning of his cab, and found my wallet wedged down behind the seat.

Good luck in court, I still don't think he can prove anything or hold you responsible for him not checking he had his wallet before leaving.

Hi Tori. I know this thread is from 2years ago. However, Id like to hear your POV regarding my lost bags. Unfortunately, 2 big bags full of clothes, new shoes, new skincare and make, trip souvenirs (almost $2,500 worth) were left inside the cabinet when we checked-out from the airbnb house. We contacted the Host immediately but the Host didn't seem to care. Host said he will check with the cleaners but we only got an update after 5 hours saying the cleaners didn't find anything. He even said he believes the cleaners have my things but didn't sound sorry that he hired such type of cleaners. We didn't want to leave our belongings behind but sometimes it s*** happens. Unfortunately in our case, our Host is not helpful and doesn't want to take responsibility in the sense that he should get trustworthy cleaners. 

I know a friend who stayed in an airbnb in Atlanta and the cleaners took photos of the items he left behind. It was sent to the Host and then it was sent to my friend. That Host deserves a super star rating. 

The Best is Use System call ..**

The best for owners ,guest and delivery easy to work with track every think ,Privacy is protected etc 

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines