Guests not reading the listing information and checking location!

Melody204
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Guests not reading the listing information and checking location!

We have an off-grid caravan and on the listing is titled as 'Off-grid clamping in the mountains' this to me speaks for itself and as the saying goes 'does what it says on the tin'

Each time someone books I take the time to reiterate that we are off-grid glamping and that everything runs off solar including the hot water.  Unfortunately this has become necessary as some guests, not all, arrive and look a bit surprised by the fact that we are off-grid glamping in the mountains!  and I am becoming increasingly frustrated as they clearly have only chosen us because we are less expensive than a lot of other places.  There is also a location map in the listing details but no one appears to look at this either so I also reiterate where we are and give an approximate location and ask that they check the location is suitable.  The listing details has all the information such as lovely and peaceful, surrounded by nature, great for relaxing, reading, meditation, yoga etc.  However....It seems some book us because we are a cheaper option than places in the main tourist areas.  Its upsetting because I go to great lengths to explain what and where we are.  Our caravan and surrounding area is immaculate and very beautiful.  So when people complain about the water not being hot enough when they return late at night, or complain that we're too far from the very touristy places I am starting to get rather annoyed.  I dont show it of course but its so unfair that they can then mark you down, star wise, just because they have not bothered reading the listing details properly!  Its infuriating and Airbnb dont seem to care as long as they get they commission.  I am feeling like I should delete our listing from Airbnb as too many people that dont appreciate this beautiful place are turning up.  I wish I could think of a way to attract the 'right' kind of people.  What to do.........................??

19 Replies 19

@Melody204 

I think we all get in the mindset of our   negatives.  Every location  has positives and negatives.   Don't get focused on your negative especially for a guest who stays at your property 10 days they are not moving in forever.

Things  you as a long term resident are  minor irritations to somebody getting away from their busy residence the store not around the corner and such would be something valuable for  10 days.   I went camping with three children young teens..  I  would of loved them roughing in a tent right outside and me in a comfy bed.  I  am a morning coffee addict so possible with a camp stove  but a keurig is so much more my style haha.

My boys are outdoorsy but they  appreciated my real  bathroom  sometimes lol  Also  camp stoves are great but 3 meals a day for 4 people is an exercise.

You fell in love with your property, you still live there because positives outweigh negatives.

Focus on your positives.  Then you generate  interest  from Guest that join your appreciation

Melody204
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

We are not camping we are Glamping.  Its a beautiful caravan with a great outside ranch style kitchen with everything one could possibly need, including a coffee maker! and oven.  Fresh good quality linen on a super comfy big bed and soft large towels for the shower...etc, etc.  Guests have said its better than staying in a hotel and cleaner!

I always focus on the positive and look for the good.  But some guests just take advantage of the value for money that our place offers and have no interest or love for nature and wildlife.   People that do love nature and enjoy peace and amazing scenery are great to have here, plus they are interested in off-grid living and ask lots of questions.  These kind of guests are great and we have met some lovely people many whom return.  Its a joy to have them join us for dinner or to be invited by them down to the caravan for dinner.

Its our home and I have every right not to want unappreciative, rude people here who'd rather be in a sterilised box in the city.  They complain about ridiculous things and Airbnb support them.  I have seen quite a few hosts messages regarding Airbnb's lack of support for hosts, but that's another story.

Thanks again for your input.  Everyone has been very supportive.

I was just talking yesterday years ago my three sons wanted to go camping but their non outdoorsy mom  said okay if the canp site had a bathroom haha.I did find a state park that had a campsite with a real bathroom and my son's had a great time.

My boys 20 years later still laugh at me because to provide a real bathroom  we were basically camping almost parking lot style.  I had my designated spot and right next store someone else had their designated spot. lol  We could hear the birds but also the breakfast discussion next door.

Melody204
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Haha.....no chance of anyone hearing anyone else here!  The caravan is in its own private area for the exclusive use of the guests.  They also have a lovely shower and separate loo! again this is for their private use.

The sound of birds is constant and for a couple of weeks during Springtime we have Nightingales visit!  They sing all the way through the night into the small wee hours!

The stars at night are a plenty and the whole vibe is relaxed and very tranquil.

Thank you again for your wonderful ideas and input I really appreciate your time and help 🙂

Warm regards

Melody

Ewan83
Level 2
Bullengarook, Australia

My suggestion would be to put words to the effect of. “ Confirming I have read this listing and do understand that it is off grid and that we are in the mountains and that we are isolated etc. Etc and those words can be displayed just after they booked but before they commit.
I use this airbnb functionality to say that we are on tank Water and that we welcome one only pet and that fencing is not suitable to keep pets inside the property as they are designed for horses not for dogs so they have to accept that and read that before they actually make the booking . It’s a setting that is available.