Guests not reading the listing information and checking location!

Melody204
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Guests not reading the listing information and checking location!

We have an off-grid caravan and on the listing is titled as 'Off-grid clamping in the mountains' this to me speaks for itself and as the saying goes 'does what it says on the tin'

Each time someone books I take the time to reiterate that we are off-grid glamping and that everything runs off solar including the hot water.  Unfortunately this has become necessary as some guests, not all, arrive and look a bit surprised by the fact that we are off-grid glamping in the mountains!  and I am becoming increasingly frustrated as they clearly have only chosen us because we are less expensive than a lot of other places.  There is also a location map in the listing details but no one appears to look at this either so I also reiterate where we are and give an approximate location and ask that they check the location is suitable.  The listing details has all the information such as lovely and peaceful, surrounded by nature, great for relaxing, reading, meditation, yoga etc.  However....It seems some book us because we are a cheaper option than places in the main tourist areas.  Its upsetting because I go to great lengths to explain what and where we are.  Our caravan and surrounding area is immaculate and very beautiful.  So when people complain about the water not being hot enough when they return late at night, or complain that we're too far from the very touristy places I am starting to get rather annoyed.  I dont show it of course but its so unfair that they can then mark you down, star wise, just because they have not bothered reading the listing details properly!  Its infuriating and Airbnb dont seem to care as long as they get they commission.  I am feeling like I should delete our listing from Airbnb as too many people that dont appreciate this beautiful place are turning up.  I wish I could think of a way to attract the 'right' kind of people.  What to do.........................??

19 Replies 19
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Are you listing on caravan websites that might be a better fit @Melody204 

Melody204
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hi Helen, thank you for your message.

I am currently looking for such websites, however, I really want a website that is for alternative accommodation for people that actually want to be in nature and experience off-gridding.  The problem with specific caravan websites is that people are also looking for club-houses, kiddie play areas, bars etc and we're just a little place in the mountains in Portugal so do not have these kind of things (thanks goodness!)

We're all about living sustainably and in harmony with nature.

we've even had a couple of kids turn up in a huge Mercedes with blacked out windows and 'music' booming!  They were going to a hip-hop festi on the s.w coast that was an hour and half drive away and told me it was last minute and our place was all they good find that they could afford! They had no interest in nature and were quite unkind to our  dogs! 

If its not right for people they shouldn't book it.  They should at the very least read the listing details!

Thanks again for taking the time to message.  Have a great day.

Warm regards

🙄

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Melody204 

Location seems to be a bit of a tricky one, as I get the occasional 4 stars in that too.

It doesn't make much sense to me as guests can see on the map where it is before they book and my listing has distances to the nearby places of interest, restaurants, public transport etc.

We live in a village which isn't a village really just homes spread across the countryside.  There are no shops, no buses & it is difficult to get a taxi.  This is all explained clearly.

For example I had guests recently who I found out the day before arrival, they live less than a mile  from me.  I thought it was strange but they were coming for an anniversary.  The guest even mentioned that they often jogged past my house.

So they knew the area, they lived in the area, they didn't leave the property once and they gave me 4 stars for location !

There are a few websites which specifically advertise unusual vacations in the U.K.  If you google that you might find something that would suit your situation better or you could at lease have your listing on both website.

Good luck

Melody204
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hi there!  Thank you so much for your message.  I must admit it did make me giggle since I feel your pain!  

The map thing is an issue and I do feel Airbnb should do away with it as far as part of the star marking in the reviews.   For goodness sake people can see where we're located, book it and then down mark us!  Its just silly.  We definitely need to be thick skinned at times.  But this can be tough especially when one works so hard to make things great for guests.  

I too give timings to the nearest town with shops and restaurants and also the nearest beaches but there's still complaints!   

I always do my own research when planning and booking a trip and would never dream of blaming anyone else for choosing the wrong location!  But it appears people just want to be spoon fed these days and not take any responsibility. 

I am looking for alternative accommodation sites for Europe as our listing is in Portugal so the UK sites aren't any good for us unfortunately but thank you for the suggestion.

Wishing you a great summer and great guests!

Warm regards

Melody

@Melody204 

So far so good here - we are off grid as well, and  think we've things going for us. One is that we are a home share, the other is that we do not use IB. When  confirm a reservation I send the guest a letter explaining that we are on a mountaintop 12  miles from any services. Most read and acknowledge it, some do not. Those few who fail to read and digest our letter so far have been delighted. 

Do please follow up with us all. I'd love to stay at your place!~

Hello!  and thank you for your message 🙂

Yes each time we take a booking I message and reiterate all the info and ask that they confirm and understand we are Off-Grid and I state "which means everything is run off solar" and that we have compost loo's.  We live sustainably and in harmony with nature and grow as much of our own food as poss.  Some people say oh yes we get all of that and then turn up and look confused and say that they didn't realise!  I'm quite often left dumbfounded but smile and reiterate the facts one more time.  To be fair most do just get on with it and we even had one lovely chap over joyed by the compost loo!  He exclaimed that they could quite possibly save the world!  So it can be fun and many people are bowled over by the nature and beauty and its great to see them reconnect with their true essence, this is what makes me really happy and what our place is all about.

If you ever find yourselves in this part of the world it would a joy to have you visit.  Spring time, March to May is particularly lovely and I feel God blessed to live here.  

Thanks again for messaging and I wish you and yours a wonderful weekend.  

Warm regards

Melody

Ps..... What's IB??

@Melody204 

IB is Instant Book. The only time we had issues was when we tried it. Folks fell in love with the photos and did not read the listing!

Ahhh yes of course.   Yes we tried Instant Book for about five minutes before realising it wasn't the best idea!

I do think people actually reading the listing details is an issue.  We have been told by many guests they look at the photos and read the reviews but dont bother reading the listing details 🙄

Thanks Kitty for your help and advise, most appreciated.

Warm regards

Melody

@Melody204 

We've code words in the Rules and in the Directions. We tell guests to please tell us what they are so that we know they've read and understood them. We sometimes get the Directions code word, rarely get the Rules one. When someone requests a stay and gives us the Rules code in their request we are very impressed! The frequency of getting the code words has dropped over time, which tells me the guests aren't reading or are less interested in communicating. 🤔

Glad to be of at least moral support to you! 😄

Yours

Kitty

Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

Actually what worked for me in Buckee AZ though not  camping  anyone in  AZ knows nothing   but  maybe Walmart and Costco lol   I stopped offering a discount rate I  am about average  rate now.  I  found that I  receive  better requests and   currently always full because  I identified   my   market and focused on  enticing them  rather then  the discount shoppers which I agree are only problems.   There are a lot of people who would pay for your opportunity  and the discount rates making them think a discount environment when it sounds like you have put a great  deal  of effort ;providing a  glamping experience.  I can  think parent whose kids want to  go   camping    but  not willing  to pee in the bushes or a couple where one wants to  camp  and the other wants a bed haha.   Your rental to me is a luxury not a motel 6.

Melody204
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hey there!  Thank you for your message.  I feel blessed to have so many good people taking the time to contact me 🙂

What you've suggested regarding no discount rates is exactly what my partner suggested.  He's going to pretty chuffed with himself now.....lol :)) 

I just felt that so many people are struggling financially at the moment and keeping the price low was my way of given something nice back.  I'd imagined struggling families who just really needed a break and I thought I was doing something kind.  But its just attracting the discount shoppers as you rightly say.  

Exactly its not a Motel 6!  its a beautiful private spot exclusively for the guests use.  The caravan, kitchen and bathroom and all lovely and super dooper clean (with all natural cleaning products, no chemicals here!)  The real work of art though is Mother Nature, she's made a wonderful job!

So to end, yes I think I need to reassess the price and try to think of a way to appeal to the 'right' kinda guests!

Wishing you a wonderful summer and thanks again for the contact.

Warm regards

Melody

A pleasant  comment but really once again is youur goal to  help struggling families because  I  think again thee people you want don.t want  a spot  catering to people short of  funds.  As the protective  guest when  I pick my accomodations I  know the owner is generating a profit but I know that I  am also  contributing  to the expense of nice clean sheets a coffee  maker at my camp sitee  security  of  my camp site not    a 24 hour  guard but  I  am   not  in the  woods by myself facing a snake haha.   Also  just  a thought what if you  set it up  so   kids can sleep in a tent  in  front of the caravan but parents   have a  bed and a coffee  maker.   My husband thinks like you and occasionally I  will help someone out   but if I  am  spending   my hard earned money to enjoy  your rental I  want to know  that I   am getting  something  like   better sheet   and towels then   a   normal   camping  site   not that I  am  contributing to  your charity desires  which I  cann''t even  write off on  my taxes.  Now  if you designate  a portion of your profit to  a  charity  I  as the  guest  don't know  and shouldn't  care if  you  do  that or  buy  sneakers.   Kind is  great  but do it correctly  you are not set  set up  to  screen  families to deal  with  their  car goes kaput  and  they   are  in your caravan

Melody204
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hello Marie,  Great idea about tent for the kids, love this idea.  We did once have a family of five stay and the elder son slept in their van, he was 15 and wanted his own space.  Our caravan sleeps three so the two little kids that were quite young were in with mum & dad.  It worked perfectly and to our joy they extended their stay and gave an awesome review.

Everything here is immaculate!  Great bedding, coffee maker, etc, etc and everyone says the kitchen is really well equipped and quite often much more than they expected.  Its definitely a lovely glamping experience! 

We've had a few 'repeater' guests so I guess we're doing something right!

Also super idea about giving to a charity!