Guests saying they can't use the Airbnb app without WiFi

Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Guests saying they can't use the Airbnb app without WiFi

I have been hosting for over six years; I've had literally hundreds of guests from all over the world, staying in my own home and in several other properties that I've managed. Almost all guests communicate through the Airbnb smartphone app while they're travelling so that we can send and receive messages, for example to tell me if if they are delayed on their journey, and this works well 99% of the time but recently I've had a very small number of guests tell me that they can't use the app while they're in transit because they don't have access to WiFi. They usually tell me this to explain why they've only turned up to check-in several hours later than the agreed time and not responded to any of my messages asking for an update.

I don't really believe this excuse! For one thing, I use the app while I'm out and about all the time using a normal mobile phone signal and it works fine. I have also used the app while I have been travelling myself in several European countries - it has always worked fine, even on mobile phone networks that are not my usual one at home. Failing that, there are places everywhere these days (cafes, libraries, trains, every single branch of McDonald's for instance) where a traveller could access WiFi for free if they need to check details or send a message and really couldn't get online any other way. 

I am just wondering whether this is something other hosts are hearing from guests and whether there is any truth in it?

When guests try to send me text messages or WhatsApp me, I politely remind them to please keep all communication in their Airbnb thread where we can both see the whole conversation (and it's on record in case of problems) and I can keep track of which guests have asked about what. Again today, I was told by a guest that she couldn't contact me through Airbnb because she didn't have WiFi. This particular guest had already tried to push my boundaries before she had even arrived - booking for three people including a child younger than I usually accept but only wanting to pay for the two adults, wanting an earlier check-in than listed etc. Is my instinct correct and she is just telling me this nonsense about the app because I asked her not to use WhatsApp - or is there something about the Airbnb app that I need to know and take into account, that prevents some guests being able to use it when out of a WiFi zone?

43 Replies 43
Georgina126
Level 1
Saint Briavels, United Kingdom

Did you ever solve this? I’m having the same problem replying to guests when out and about, which I am a lot. Also have big data plan

Same! I have hundred of GB of roaming data available, unlimited everything else, basically a substantial plan and cannot access AirBnB without wifi. I typically have to plan in advance and copy/paste all info from the host before I leave into Note or something. In case I received a notification of a message from the host in my email, i have to try find to make sure I have wifi to check the message on the app. But it is a huge issue. I was traveling to a host in AZ in a deserted area where there is wifi at all and knew I couldn’t contact them in case of a problem. 

Russell152
Level 1
Houston, TX

Just to say that I have been trying without success to log in to the airbnb android app via phone (android 9) or via tablet (android 5). This has been going on for a week.

Airbnb customer service claims some kind of tech issue, but offer no advice re how a user might remedy the issue. Airbnb won't say when or if the problem might be fixed.

Airbnb's only suggestion is to give up on the app and login via a browser.

Judging from the large number of complaints when you google the issue, it seems this 'app won't work' difficulty is a persisent problem for some people over many years.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

Airbnb application does have some glitches which I also encountered

(1) Notifications are not pushed to my cell phone. I have often times not seen notificaiton on my phone that messages or booking requests/inquiries are from Airbnb

(2) Network errors appear at the bottom of the screen in Airbnb app while there are no issues for me to use other applications.

(3) Messages were in sending status in Airbnb app for long time even though there is no network issue.

(4) Some pages takes forever to show up until I shut off Airbnb app and re-launch it.

Catherine1709
Level 1
Billings, MT

I have been using AirBnB for a few years on iPhone.  We have unlimited data and just this summer the app won’t work unless I have WiFi.  I have deleted it, restarted phone and re-added the app and it still won’t work.  This justvstarted happening. 

Hannah512
Level 1
Davao City, Philippines

I have the same problem..My app does not work when I use my data. but works when I connect to a wifi.

Same! I have hundred of GB of roaming data available, unlimited everything else, basically a substantial plan and cannot access AirBnB without wifi. I typically have to plan in advance and copy/paste all info from the host before I leave into Note or something. In case I received a notification of a message from the host in my email, i have to try find to make sure I have wifi to check the message on the app. But it is a huge issue. I was traveling to a host in AZ in a deserted area where there is wifi at all and knew I couldn’t contact them

@Esther664  While it's a drag that the app doesn't work without Wifi, you can access the desktop version with only a cell signal. I don't know how well that would work, as I've never used the app, but I access the non-app version as a host from my phone all the time.

And you can always phone or text a host as long as you have a cell signal.

Portia29
Level 1
New York, United States

I’m not a host. I have almost never been able to send a message while off wifi. I can do everything else within the app but that. I just had this issue today which led me to this thread. 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Good to know. I tell guests that they will get a "quicker" response from me if they use the app. But I also give them my cell number and email as a back up.

Scott1580
Level 1
British Columbia, Canada

It’s happening to me right now I’m a guest and can’t reach my host cause I do not have wifi and I’m in the suite looking for wifi password and can’t message them and they are not home 

Scott1580
Level 1
British Columbia, Canada

But if you are a guest don’t hit the red reply button go down to bottom and reply like an email 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can you not call your host @Scott1580 

Eddie327
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Airbnb app users should also check their smartphone settings and turn ON permission for the app to work with mobile data

some folks try to save on data use by turning  OFF data use for SELECTED apps  (eg Airbnb) while not travelling and forget to turn it back ON  when they need to use the app

GO TO YOUR SMARTPHONE DATA SETTINGS AND LOOK FOR THE LIST OF APPS THAT HAVE ROAMING DATA INDIVIDUALLY TURNED ON/Off for each app.

Look for the Airbnb app and turn data ON for it

I did this on my iPhone … dont know about Android