Guests saying they can't use the Airbnb app without WiFi

Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Guests saying they can't use the Airbnb app without WiFi

I have been hosting for over six years; I've had literally hundreds of guests from all over the world, staying in my own home and in several other properties that I've managed. Almost all guests communicate through the Airbnb smartphone app while they're travelling so that we can send and receive messages, for example to tell me if if they are delayed on their journey, and this works well 99% of the time but recently I've had a very small number of guests tell me that they can't use the app while they're in transit because they don't have access to WiFi. They usually tell me this to explain why they've only turned up to check-in several hours later than the agreed time and not responded to any of my messages asking for an update.

I don't really believe this excuse! For one thing, I use the app while I'm out and about all the time using a normal mobile phone signal and it works fine. I have also used the app while I have been travelling myself in several European countries - it has always worked fine, even on mobile phone networks that are not my usual one at home. Failing that, there are places everywhere these days (cafes, libraries, trains, every single branch of McDonald's for instance) where a traveller could access WiFi for free if they need to check details or send a message and really couldn't get online any other way. 

I am just wondering whether this is something other hosts are hearing from guests and whether there is any truth in it?

When guests try to send me text messages or WhatsApp me, I politely remind them to please keep all communication in their Airbnb thread where we can both see the whole conversation (and it's on record in case of problems) and I can keep track of which guests have asked about what. Again today, I was told by a guest that she couldn't contact me through Airbnb because she didn't have WiFi. This particular guest had already tried to push my boundaries before she had even arrived - booking for three people including a child younger than I usually accept but only wanting to pay for the two adults, wanting an earlier check-in than listed etc. Is my instinct correct and she is just telling me this nonsense about the app because I asked her not to use WhatsApp - or is there something about the Airbnb app that I need to know and take into account, that prevents some guests being able to use it when out of a WiFi zone?

43 Replies 43
Paul8494
Level 1
East Grinstead, United Kingdom

I can you that I have this same issue of being unable to use the app without Wi-Fi on my iPhone. I searched this seeing if I could find a solution but I see hosts blaming guests for lying. I’ve no reason to lie. I’ve had this issue for years. No Wi-Fi = no air BnB. I’ve got access to all other apps using 4G.  It’s a real pain as I can’t see any updates whilst travelling. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have an iPhone and don't have an issues using the Airbnb app when not using wifi @Paul8494 

have you looked at your settings ? 

in fact I'm using 5G now to make this post 😁

Caraline0
Level 2
Ocean Shores, Australia

well Im a host.  and I can see a message has come through but can't open it or reply unless Im home in the wifi.  its been going on for months now. tonight I lost a booking because out at the beach and couldn't tell them they could check in..   Any help would be appreciated how to rectify this.    Its a costly pain in the arse. 

Caraline0
Level 2
Ocean Shores, Australia

Im a host and can't use the app unless in wifi.  Today I lost an instant booking cause didn't see the message till I got home.  Its driving me crazy.  Does anyone know how to ammend this. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Caraline0 

I made a point back at the start of this thread in 2018 that there is nothing wrong with either the app or the wifi, you just need to understand the way Wifi works.

You will always receive an sms message because that is generated through your cellular network as a cellular notification and does not use the app! But, a number of factors govern whether you can respond to that sms, the main one being you need to respond through the mobile app! You can't respond through the notification.

1/......If you have Wifi turned on on your phone and you are in a public Wifi  area and not logged into that wifi signal such as, (sometimes you will walk into the local Laundromat and on entering you will get an sms prompt to long into that laundromats free wifi service) if you don't, and you don't turn your wifi off on your phone you will not be able to respond! The strongest wifi signal will block your cellular phone from accessing the mobile app....that little 'wheel of death' will just keep spinning! 

In that situation turn your phone wifi off and you will be able to respond through the app message stream via your phones cellular signal.

2/......If you run your phones battery charge down below a certain point the phone goes into 'survival mode' and deactivates unnecessary features and most commonly your data access will be restricted......you will be able to receive messages, but not respond to them!

If you are not in a 'personal' phone recognised wifi area (wifi range you are linked to) and you cannot respond through the app it is possibly because your Mobile data has turned off! In this situation go to your phones 'setting' > 'Sim Card & mobile data' > 'Mobile data' and make sure this is activated as per this screenshot.....

Screenshot_2022-07-17-22-08-58-74.jpg

Caraline, you can always respond through the mobile app, you don't need to be in your home wifi range, it is best when away from home to go into your phones setting and turn your wifi off and make sure Mobile data is turned on.....you will never get caught then....but remember to turn your wifi on again when you return home!

I hope this makes sense, but trust me it works!

Cheers.........Rob

@Paul8494  @Helen3  @Eddie327 

On a slightly different topic - "WiFi Problems" is one of the most annoying aspect of dealing with guests.

99% of people have NO CLUE how to reset APN provider, or select b/n/ac/ax modes or....

Neither they don't understand that their devices were made in most cases to be used in specufic country with specific providers (cell mostly).

I can't blame them - I am a computer professional, but even I find this whole connectiviy problem issue quite annoying. But - I am under no oblgation to waste my time trying to troubleshoot every single guest's device.  And guess what - ever second not so positive review for hosts says "baaaad wifi Ma...."

What makes me mad is that in hotels for twice the price and 1/5 of what they get - faulty wifi is a norm and not due to device's settings))

I am so glad my livehood does not depend on this "people business"....

And - in the latest news - AirBnB says my listing is NOT assigned to ANY category....so much for the Lack Of Intelligence (artificial or otherwise)

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David8879 

David you have gone to the next level that most users will not understand, they have absolutely no idea what B/N/AC/AX modes are.......they are not from another continent using roaming technology, they are 20 minutes away from home, they get a booking notification on their phone which they can't respond to because their wifi access is clashing with their cellular service.

Keep it simple David, I tried to explain what actually happens and how to get around it, don't blind them with science!

Cheers.......Rob 

@Robin4 

"The strongest wifi signal will block your cellular phone from accessing the mobile app"

This is true - phone might get confused by presence of open wifi even if one will not connect to it.

But if Android if Developer Option is enabled - there is a way to enable "Cell Network Always On" - that will help. But then again for majority of people it is not a viable solution.

Back in the days (Reagan time, yes) I worked in customer support and that formed my opinion that if modern customer is a product of evolution - the evolution might be wrong.

Off the topic but here is conversation I had with otherwise nice Lady:

[me] Please turn on your desktop

[Lady] You IDIOT! How many times do I have to tell you I tried everything!!!

[me] Miss, we have to do it by the book - did you press power button on your computer?

[Lady] Yes you moron!!!!!

[me] Now, please push the power button on the monitor

[Lady] .....crickets....crickets...crickets...."There is a power button on the monitor too?"

Like George Carlin said - "Guests are...silly"

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@David8879 I have a friend who works IT helpdesk and your conversation sounds pretty similar to the majority of issues he deals with! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Kerri234
Level 1
Mocksville, NC

I am at hosts also and I cannot use my Airbnb app unless I am home or somewhere with Wi-Fi. This is very difficult because I will get an email or a regular text message saying I have a booking but yeah I cannot log onto the App if I am not near Wi-Fi. This is happened to me many times. Does anybody know what is going on with this?

Have you all turned your monitor's power on?

Kerry471
Level 1
Las Vegas, NM

I am trying to use the all right now and it’s not letting me due to no internet. 

Helen,

It is obvious you never had data throttling, link issues, or ran out of data allotment.  If you care to understand how the cell phone services work with all the interaction between service providers (foreign/domestic) you won't be so negative towards them.  As their issues often are real and the problem may be insensitivity towards people who are having real issues with cell networks.  Not to say people don't fake issues, but your vent fest towards this ** is not helpful.

**[Content removed inline with the Community Center Guidelines- Please be respectful in your discussions  in Community Center]

Hi All!

I have seen that guests have turned off Cellular Data on their phones so as to not go over their data limits (use Wifi at home or elsewhere). Then they forget to turn on Cellular Data when out of Wifi range (out and about) and therefore don't get notifications on their phone. 

I've done this myself 😏

Maybe this is what's happening??  Not sure 🤔

Cell Phone Data.png