Guests using ALL bedrooms

Laura5047
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Guests using ALL bedrooms

Welcome your thoughts here as it's a really pet hate of mine...

We airbnb out our 2 bedroom cottage which is our home.... its our pride and joy and people love being here - our reviews are a testament of that...

One thing that drives me crazy though is when a couple book our home but choose to use our 2 bedrooms... I appreciate that some people like to sleep alone but I always have the 2nd bedroom dressed and ready for our next booking with 4 guests and then when 2 guests use this 2nd room it just causes extra time and effort to redress the room.... I have an additional fee for additional guests...

What do you think? Is it just me that gets frustrated by this?

9 Replies 9
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura5047 

No, it’s not just you.

We have found that most of our “romantic couples” get romantic in both bedrooms.

Other people have remarked that if they have four beds many guests will use all four of them, even if only two people stay there.

Sometimes it’s an indication that they invited friends over without permission but not always.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura5047 If you really want to stop this then you will need a 1 bed and a 2 bed listing and then lock the 2nd bedroom when the 1 bed listing is booked. Other that that there is no way of knowing if two friends have booked your space or if they are a couple.

This is a good solution. Thanks.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

When I walk into my 2-bedroom listing and see one bed untouched I always breathe a sigh of relief.

But I wouldn't say I get frustrated with people who use both beds. First, it is none of my business and there are plenty of situations where 2 people would use 2 beds (relatives, friends, co-workers, etc.) They may even have chosen my place specifically because it offered two beds/bedrooms. Second, the guests rented my apartment which advertises 2 beds. They have every right to use both.  Your price should reflect the cleaning and use of 2 bedrooms. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura5047 how do you KNOW, and I mean really KNOW that the second bed is clean and ready for guests if you've left it out and made up while other people were there??

You really have to get quite specific about what will and won't be available at what price point if you're going to be upset about guests using what you've left out for them to use.

One middle-ground solution is to make up the bed you think they need, leave a simple cover on the other and then bedding somewhere available if they just really need to use the second bed. That would discourage bed hopping but wouldn't leave someone stranded if they really needed to sleep in two beds. Or ask ahead of time: "we typically make up one bed per each 2 guests, does that work for you?" or "it helps us plan our turnovers, how many beds would you like us to prepare for you?"

There are solutions and I'd rather do just about anything rather than be silently annoyed.

That doesn’t solve the problem….we don’t have a issue with them using the second bed, but wed like to be covered financially for the extra work in prepping the room.

We are having the exact same problem, we have a two bedroom apartment and so often a couple uses both bedroom and it makes so much more work and laundry for me….how do you deal with this problem?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Laura5047 , @Jeffery52  More and more guests are also using both of the bedrooms in my cabin.  I don't inquire of a couple as to their marital status or their sleeping habits, so no matter what, when the cabin is rented, my expectation is that I will be changing ALL of the beds, linens, towels, etc.  If you are finding that you are not being compensated for the extra work, adjust your pricing or your expectations.  

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I agree that you have to be careful with this, because a made bed isn’t necessarily an unslept-in bed. My housekeeper puts a special, hidden fold in one of the sheets in every bed, to help tell the difference.

I also agree that when I say my “entire place” is available to use, I mean it, and price it accordingly.