Guests using app code for door

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Guests using app code for door

It has now happened at least three times. I send the instructions with the code five days prior to arrival. Email is very organized. I ask the guest read it and then acknowledge; email is divided into sections: check in, parking, etc. it comes in advance, so people can take their time reading, understanding, asking questions  Hundreds of stays over the years. Yet, every once in a while, somebody decides that a code they receive to get into the app is the door code. Yesterday the group started frantically messaging me around 11. Took me a little bit to understand what was happening because they just kept saying that the door code wasn’t working.  I don’t think there’s a way to preempt this, it seems to be just people’s stupidity and or lack of knowledge or modern technology. The guest is in his 40s and it’s a group. You would think someone among them would know enough  

13 Replies 13
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Inna22  Dear Inna -- you know that some guests just don't get it.  The only way that I have been able to ensure that guests have the correct door code is to send a VERY specific message AFTER sending the Welcome Package with the turn-by-turn map, door codes and contact info.

Email message subject:  Door Access Code for "name of property".

Text of message:  The unlock code for the front and back doors to "name of property" is XXXX.

Please acknowledge receipt of this email via return email or text message to "phone number".

That gets the job done and no phone calls in the night hours.

@Lorna170 smart. I will add as auto message for the day of arrival. The only problem is that it further reinforces them not reading everything else. Currently I feel like they are forced to read the long message if they want the door code

@Alex893   I send it AFTER the long file that they should have read and acknowledged receiving.   You could choose to send it on the arrival day.

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Inna22 Just curious what "app" they need a code to. I have a lot of issues with guests and arrival instructions as well.  It's largely because they didn't bother to ready anything I sent to them. 

Karen

@Karen114 I assume there were trying to log into their Airbnb app, needed to receive a code and confused the airbnb app code with the door code

@Inna22. This is exactly why I dont use Airbnb and apps that plug into them to issue door codes as  I do it personally direct to the guest. That way there is no separate app for the guests to try and download (at the last moment) and confuse themselves with what codes applies where, including Airbnb. I also only send it up to 24 hours prior to arrival so they are looking out for it, as per my check in instructions. K.I.S.S approach

I have 100% 5 star check in ratings, even from a subsequently bad guest stay so I know it works. Stress free for both guest and host imo.

@Frances3408 The code is part of my general instructions, which I have to send and I want them to read. Having the door code as part of it makes it more likely that they would read at least something.

@Inna22. By general instructions do you mean instructions on how to get in the door? My SMS also sends entry instructions (and how to lock on exit) but thats it. Having Zoomer adult kids I can tell you their attention span is less than mine unless its something they are actually interested in 😉

I can also modify this standard wording anytime. Everything else is left to the Airbnb check in check out sections and my guest manual.

Fully appreciate this is an each to their own situation though. 🙂

@Frances3408 all of my guests get a fairly long email about five days prior to arrival divided into sections of address, check in, parking, standard bed set up, Wi-Fi password- basically all the common questions. Some of it is redundant to other sources. You can these days log into the Wi-Fi through Airbnb. Beds are in the description and so on. I have been perfecting this email for years and definitely see a reduction in a number of questions asked. 

This is my approach too. I realized not every guest has access to data or otherwise is frustrated by a tech savvy check in routine, so I went back to the simple way of sending it directly in the check in instructions on the app and then by text. Simpler - better -faster... less hassles. 

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Inna22  I used to send the door code 5 days before letting them know the code won’t work before 3, however as of lately having an issue with guests showing up well before check in causing issues with cleaners, telling the cleaners I said they could check in for noon etc. Now they get the code sent to them at 3 and haven’t had any issues. If the unit is ready before 3 I message them and let them know their code. 
This helps the reading comprehension challenged as they are waiting for it and will likely actually read at at check in time. 

Karen

@Karen114 that strategy presents another set of problems. Guest might be on a flight at that time with no Internet, they might be from out of the country, and I have no Internet in the land. I personally am a planner, it would stress me enormously of I get a code at arrival. What if you forget to send it or something happens to you that wouldn’t allow you to send it precisely at three and the guest is stuck? I feel like the obnoxious behavior you describe is on them (showing up early) but failure to let them in is on you. 

Yes those are valid points.  My code gets sent via email, sms as well as on the platform they booked on and its all automated so I don't have to do anything other than give them the code earlier if the place is ready earlier. Most guests have some type of data on their phone where they can access their email etc. while traveling.

They do however get everything else they need several days before arrival such as address,  parking, directions. 

Karen